Public Group active 5 months, 1 week ago

CUNY Women in STEM

CUNY Women in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) is a transdisciplinary group open to the CUNY community. We aim to link-up STEM oriented campus-based groups and create a virtual hub that encourages both across campus interactions, and new connections to outside entities interested in the advancement of women in STEM.

Admins:

Invitation for Arts & STEM program

• Would be a great event to attend!

Forwarded information:

I am reaching out to you today on behalf of Professor Silvia Mazzula and Ms. Gioia De Cari to personally invite you and let you know about our unique pilot project which combines the arts with a mentoring program for graduate women in the STEM fields. We thought this program might be especially of interest to you and your students. This program, supported by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, is provided to students at no cost.

Our program will take place on April 18-19 at the CUNY Graduate Center.

The program begins with an evening performance of the nationally acclaimed play “Truth Values: One Girl’s Romp Through M.I.T.’s Male Math Maze,” created by artist and former mathematician Gioia De Cari, with an immediate post-show discussion “Critical Mass: Supporting Women in STEM.” The discussion will be moderated by the P.I. on our project, Dr. Silvia Mazzula, Professor of Psychology John Jay College and Executive Director of the Latina Researchers Network, and features speakers Dr. Virginia Valian, Distinguished Professor of Psychology, Hunter College and The Graduate Center, and Dr. Gilda Barabino, Berg Professor and Dean of the Grove School of Engineering, The City College of New York. On April 19, there will be a related luncheon mentoring event for women graduate students in STEM fields.

“Truth Values” has been embraced by over 50 university performing arts centers as a conversation starter on issues pertaining to unconscious bias and diversity in STEM fields, including presentations at Princeton, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, M.I.T. and many more.

The program is open to students of any university. Please feel free to share with a student you think needs to join us –  the student application form for the program can be found here. The play and post-show discussion are open to the public as well, and reservations can be made here. We are also including a flyer with more information – it can be found here.

If you have any questions, please feel free to respond to this email or call our Community Outreach Director, Fran Kirmser, at 917-637-0506.

Best,

Shari Atwood

Program Coordinator

Truth Values + Creating a Community for Graduate Women in STEM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.