Public Group active 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

Live Workshop Reflection

• Reflecting on our group experience, what was most useful in your breakout discussion? What was something that resonated with you? Was there a new idea that stood out for you? Feel free to give a shout out to community members from your session who influenced your thinking.

This is not meant to be a lengthy reflection. 2-3 sentences, or what you can manage in 5 minutes.

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Apologies I finally was able to get in, but I like the idea of sharing our own story with students it gives them a way to associate with what they might be feeling and overall feel comfortable.

Building relevance into what I teach can be easier in some topic areas in nutrition and dietetics and not so much in others. It’s very supportive to know that the relevance issue spans all disciplines and teaching skills/styles.

Thank you for the great reminder that it is the instructors’ job to give students access to information to not only help them feel like they belong in our classrooms but also to give them resources and information about college; Students should understand that a relationship with professors will help them navigate their degree and career questions, support them with interships and recommendations, etc! This is something I wish I knew as a freshman.

I also loved the recommendation of Padlet to begin building community before the semester begins!

I would add that the syllabus should be student friendly, interactive, and be used as a tool to create strong communication avenue for students; with links, it could be used as a central hub for discussions and community building as well as for the academic outline and assignments that way students know where to access all information.

I was in the Growth Workshop and enjoyed the discussion on how to make students aware of the importance of a growth mindset. I liked the quick introductory video that was showed and plan to have a section of my Brightspace on learning strategies/resources where I will include this video as part of the strategies for course success.

In the Purpose and Relevance group, I was struck by the similarity in comments and concerns for a broader view and student exposure to different skills and academic fields, which I found troubling in my courses, which are Gen Ed requirements. In a two-year college, students come in with a preplanned career path, unwilling to engage or not knowing about the excitement of exploration. Finding ways to open new vistas on personal and academic development is what I hope to develop.

I joined the Growth Mindset group. After the video (which I loved by the way) a professor mentioned the time needed sometimes to promote a growth mindset in students. As an administrator in academic advising, I am grateful for the time we get with students to witness the lessons instilled in their first semester, truly flourish in the final semester.

For me, it’s understanding that it takes a village of faculty and staff to assist a student, who may not have had that type of lesson or support.

At first, I was surprised and saddened to learn how many members in our breakout room. like myself, felt lonely or as if they did not belong in their college communities.  I appreciate how open members in our group were in speaking or posting about their experiences.  One member discussed a very hurtful situation when other students rejected him when he tried to befriend them.  Another member wrote how he felt like he never belonged.  As I reflect on our group discussion now, I realize that our common feeling of not belonging can actually help us form community.

As a CUNY Instructor, I will communicate to my students the prevalence of feeling like an outsider or imposter at college so they know they are not alone.  I will continue to encourage students to express their feelings and worries about being college students so that they can identify why they feel that way, realize how many of their peers may share similar feelings, and discover ways they can feel more confident as college students and members of CUNY.

Introducing students to Communication Courses particularly in modern times is challenging. They tend to favor texting and messaging, while shying away from verbal communication, even in classrooms and business settings. However, the reality is that employers are increasingly requiring strong communication skills from new hires. Highlighting this and making students aware of the importance of communication in most careers is critical to them getting hired and to their overall success. I agree with my colleague from the Purpose and Relevance breakout room who mentioned the need to adapt and teach our content in new ways that are more relevant and engaging to students in order to prepare them for today’s workforce and beyond.

Hello Melida,
    I agree with you that sharing our personal experiences and ways to overcome difficulties is a very good way to start helping students by providing a source of support and invitation for further communication. Thank you. Sandra

In the breakout room, our focus was on cultivating a growth mindset. Our discussion revolved around approaching challenges and failures as opportunities for personal and professional growth. As an instructor, I believe it is essential to embody a growth mindset by actively learning from my students during discussions and implementing effective strategies to enhance my teaching methods. By doing so, I aim to inspire students to view failures as temporary setbacks rather than permanent destinations

I like the idea of creating a space in the course where students can explore and develop a sense of belonging. It is challenging when students have to take a course but are not interested in it. While my college experiences can resonate with some students, not all see things the same way.

The various techniques people leaned on in their own growth and application of growth mindset to their classroom. Allowing resubmission of assignments, reframing test taking and scaffolding students personal experiences within the framework of the classroom.

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.