Public Group active 3 days, 7 hours ago

CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group

This Discussion Forum for CUNY Learning Mindset Modules Group is visible to the general public. Anyone on the Internet can see the comments and discussion threads. But only Academic Commons members can join and leave the group, and participate in the discussion.

Admins:

2.8 Discussion Board III: Relationships (Required to earn certificate)

• đź’¬ Discussion:

In your course(s), how do you get to know your students? Share an activity you use, or plan to use, to learn about students’ personal information, interests, &/or goals.

Viewing 5 replies - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • In the course I teach, I will start by posting a warm welcome letter on BB before the semester begins. During our first class, I will introduce myself by sharing my professional background, personal interests, and goals for the semester. I will also allow each student to introduce themselves, share why they chose their major, and discuss their aspirations for the semester.

After reviewing the workshop readings, I consider integrating the discussed value systems into my teaching approach. I want my students to understand that teaching this course is vital to my life. Additionally, I aim to create a space for students to explore the connection between their personal lives and the course material. This approach will cultivate a sense of community, purpose, relevance, and value, ultimately motivating students, increasing engagement, and leading to progress and success in the course.

At the start of the semester, I have a Discussion Board in Blackboard where I ask students to introduce themselves and tell the class and me about their interests. After reading through the module, I am going to make my question a bit more purpose-oriented and ask what specific things they hope to get out of this class. Even if the class is just a prerequisite for classes they might be more interested in, I will try to show why the content covered in my class will help them understand those other classes.

In one of my classes, students have the opportunity to write a research paper on any cell biological topic. Some students don’t know what topic to choose, so I try to show them how cell biology is relevant for them. It can be as diverse as understanding the cell biology of a rash they got from poison ivy or understanding the mechanism of action of a treatment a family member is undergoing for a certain disease. This is an assignment students really enjoy as a result of seeing its relevance.

One of the projects I assign asks students to develop a research question and use themselves as a research subject to collect data. That way, they get to use course material (statistical methods in psychology) to learn something about themselves and hopefully recognize the relevance of the course to their personal and professional lives.

In the first week of class there are several opportunities for students to introduce themselves to their classmates and to me. I model several of these tasks by giving information about myself. In one early writing task, students write a letter of introduction to me. This assignment allows them to be direct and honest with me about who they are and what they might need. In this letter I ask them to tell me what is important for me to know about them: essential information or background about who they are, what their major is, what their interests are, and what their future plans are. I also ask them to tell me specifically and honestly why they are taking the course–all honest reasons are valid. If they are working, they can tell me about their job. If they have a family, they can tell me a little about them. If they are taking other courses, they can tell me what they are. I also ask them to highlight at least one detail about themselves that they think might make them unique from other students in the class. I also ask them to complete a survey that asks about to share other information, like comfort/experience with online classes, possible barriers to their success in the class, etc.

In your course(s), how do you get to know your students? Share an activity you use, or plan to use, to learn about students’ personal information, interests, and/or goals.

I have students write about themselves, and I learn about them from our discussions as well. Their first writing is about their experience in English class; in this way, I learn about what challenges students have had in the past and get ideas about how to help the more insecure students gain confidence about their capabilities. Their first essay is about a challenge they’ve overcome. I find students very open in these essays, some really discuss trauma, though I tell them they can write about light or heavy things; it’s up to them. In the last two years, many students have written about their loneliness during the pandemic. This inspired me to do more get-to-know-you exercises. They interview, introduce, and write about each other.

Viewing 5 replies - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.