• Edith Blackwood posted an update 8 years, 10 months ago

Grade Level(s): Preschool – 2nd grade
    Duration: 20-30 minutes
    Standard: Standard 1: Creating, Performing, and Participating in the Arts Students will actively engage in the processes that constitute creation and performance in the arts (dance, music, theatre, and visual arts) and participate in various roles in the arts.
    Music Blueprint Grade 2
    Students will be able to:
    Perform music with repetitive or contrasting patterns.

Maintain a steady pulse at various tempi through call and response, clapping, tapping, or other movement.

Create rhythmic patterns in relation to a steady beat.
    explore melodic contour through singing, movement, and labeled pitches.

Perform music with a variety of dynamic levels.

Explore different timbres by using a variety of instruments and vocal sounds
    Source:
    Greeting Song: Tune of Are You Sleeping “Frere Jacques”
    Musical Objectives: At the end of this activity the students will:
    • Introduce their name by singing
    • Sing a song by repetition
    • Play instruments and create movements to the song
    Musical Concept: Repetition in music
    Musical Skills: Singing unison, counting beats, social awareness, language and listening
    Materials Needed: tape recorder chart with song, rhythm instruments- shakers, bells triangle
    Activity: Teaching a song
    Lesson Sequence
    Today we are going to learn a welcome song to sing in our morning meeting class
    First discuss with class how important it is to feel welcome when you go to a new place or with a group of people you don’t know. This week we are in a new class and you are going to learn lots new things. First we are going to learn each others name.
    I will say my name and then I will point to a you in the circle and ask what is your name. You will reply my name is …… then point to the person next to you and ask what is your name until everyone say their name.
    2. Now we are going to learn a song, Teacher model singing the entire song for the children with her name. Sing song twice then have students sing with you inputing their name. Sing with individual students to help develop confidence, then have students sing by themself
    Teacher:
    I’m Ms. (name), I’m Ms. (name).
    That’s my name, That’s my name.
    Glad to see you here.
    Glad to see you here.
    What’s your name? What’s your name?
    Child:
    I am (name), I am (name).
    That’s my name, that’s my name.
    I am glad to be here,
    I am glad to be here.
    At school today, at school today.
    3. Tell the children, “Now we are going add some more rhythm using a musical instrument. ”
    4. Pass around basket and have students select an instrument, tell the name of their selection and have them make sounds. Then sing song again with instrument.
    Record song then play back for class to hear.
    Closure: “Songs can have the same words that repeats more than once. Who can tell me some lines in the song that are repeated? ”