Public Group active 4 days, 19 hours ago

Digital Humanities Initiative

The CUNY Digital Humanities Initiative (CUNY DHI), launched in Fall 2010, aims to build connections and community among those at CUNY who are applying digital technologies to scholarship and pedagogy in the humanities. All are welcome: faculty, students, and technologists, experienced practitioners and beginning DHers, enthusiasts and skeptics.

We meet regularly on- and offline to explore key topics in the Digital Humanities, and share our work, questions, and concerns. See our blog for more information on upcoming events (it’s also where we present our group’s work to a wider audience). Help edit the CUNY Digital Humanities Resource Guide, our first group project. And, of course, join the conversation on the Forum.

Photo credit: Digital Hello by hugoslv on sxc.hu.

Admins:

Welcome! And please, tell us about yourselves!

• Hi, and welcome to CUNY DHI!

The idea for the group came from a conversation earlier this year in which I asked Matt how many other people were working in the Digital Humanities at CUNY. Without the Academic Commons, this was very difficult to know – but it’s exactly the kind of problem that the Commons was designed to solve. Through CUNY DHI, then, we hope to bring together those of you who are already working in DH, and help newcomers find their way into the field. And in the process build awareness of DH at CUNY, and CUNY in the wider DH community.

Anyway, we’re looking forward to meeting you all in person – in the meantime, though, could you post here to tell the group a bit about yourself and your DH interests? It would be helpful too if you could include an indication of how much experience you have with DH. All levels are very welcome, of course: that’s why we’re here.

To start the ball rolling… I’m a PhD student in the English department at the Grad Center (3rd year), and also in the Interactive Technology & Pedagogy Certificate program, which is how I got into DH. Experience-wise I’m a DH beginner – an intermediate or (if you’re feeling very kind) advanced beginner, perhaps, but definitely a beginner. I’ve done a lot of reading and thinking about DH, but very little actual hands-on DH work yet, just some experimentation with basic text mining and visualization tools for a paper last year. I’m about to start an independent study on text mining in the undergraduate classroom, though, and will be looking to the group for suggestions, advice, and guinea-pigs ☺

And I’m very lucky to be a HASTAC scholar representing the Grad Center this year – hoping to use this to help advance the DHI and DH work in general at CUNY. Are you on HASTAC? If not, it’s definitely something you should look into.

Now, over to you…

Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)
  • Hello everyone. My name is Chris Leary. I’m a student in the English Department and staff member at the New Media Lab. I missed the first meeting but hope to make it to others.

I followed some links sent by Charlie today and ended up on the website for the Scholarly Communications Institute. They just released an executive summary of the SCI 8 meeting on experimental models for scholarly communication. I attached it to this post in case anyone is interested.

The thing that stuck out to me — because of my interest in anthologies as a genre and as a form of writing that can be taught in composition classroom — was the term “stewardship.” The writers of this executive summary said that scholars in the digital humanities need to increasingly take on the role of stewards in digital scholarship. Stewards, they say, are editors and compilers and archivists and anthologizers and curators. They make “thematic collections.” Typically, in the humanities, editing has not been a prestigious activity and it has not been viewed as real scholarship. That needs to change (in the opinion of SCI) because if humanities scholars do not act as stewards, then that role will be left to librarians and system engineers, who do not have the same content knowledge. Humanities scholars need to intervene in that work, but if it is not regarded and rewarded as scholarship, then it won’t happen as much as we need it to.

From my point of view, as a teacher of writing, I would add that, not only do humanities scholars need to perform stewardry on the web, they also need to mentor students on this practice — it needs to be part of the composition that we teach in writing classrooms and elsewhere. Stewardry, sometimes seen as pre-critical, is clearly rhetorical and argumentative. Given that many of our students will have been “born digital,” the mentorship will likely go in both directions.

Before reading this executive summary, I’d never heard this word “stewardship” used in this context but I liked it. All of its precursors — editing, curating, anthologizing, archiving, compiling, aggregating, collecting — have fatal flaws when used in digital contexts. Does anyone know where I can read more about digital stewardship? I was hoping for some citations in the executive summary but it didn’t have any.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 16 replies (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.