Introduction Letter

HuiQin Huang

ENGL 21002

Shana Creaney

2/4/20

Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Creaney,

My name is HuiQin Huang.  As a new immigrant, I am seeking more opportunities to improve my English both speaking and writing skills. I came from China four years ago. Before I came to the United States, I didn’t speak any English and I had no idea how to communicate with other people. I used to live in the countryside in China and I had no experience of how to live in a big city. I still remember the first time I took a subway in New York. I was carrying a huge shoulder backpack, my hands full of packages. I felt ashamed of my dull old fashionable clothing and felt anxiety looking at the route map, calculating which station I should get off at, which stops or which line I should transfer to. Once I got into the train, I looked around at the people, full of energy, wearing neat suits and shiny shoes, and suddenly I wondered whether I belonged here. I felt a sense of inferiority and tension in my heart.

Now, my confidence has grown a lot. My favorite piece of clothing is a shirt that I bought here in the city. It is a white button-down shirt that make me feel professional. Once I put my shirt on, I start to straighten my shoulder and my face was full of confidence. My eyes are no longer dim. When I talk to others, I can confidently communicate with them in English. For me, a formal shirt not only helps me to feel confident but also helps me to improve my first impression on others. However, I sometimes tend to get nervous when I need to speak in front of large groups of people. I am looking forward to improving my English for my presentation at the end of this semester.

I also want to learn about American culture and the cultural differences between America and China, because I want to live here. America has always been a country that welcomes diversity, and I want to see how people of different ethnicities come together, work together and influence each other. I don’t want to be separated from other people by their race. We are all Americans.

In The Role of the Behavioral Scientist in the Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King explains important it is for negroes to have direction and self-understanding. Negroes must contend with social inequality, racism, so they need to rebuild their confidence and discover their own value. At this time, social scientists can help. Martin Luther King said the role of social scientists is “to extirpate evil, not to invent it” (King 3). [1]  Their job is to study human behavior and the complex nature of society. They provide different insights for individuals or groups of people about making decisions and responding to change. They become a guide, uniting our society. In order to change the situation of what white man controls the society, made up discrimination and the hatred of black people, a social scientist like Martin Luther King stand up and help. In his book, he said, “If a soul is left in darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness” (King 15). [2] During the urban riot, it is not all black people’s fault. The only guilty people are the ones who push the person who commits the crime to take the path of crime. Martin Luther King’s greatness lies in bringing about racial reconciliation and making it a mainstream value throughout the United States. He awakened the determination of black people to unite for equality.

As we grow older, we have different understandings and judgments about the most basic behaviors of ourselves and those around us. Different cultural backgrounds make people have different ways of thinking. As a social scientist, I feel we can research society, which by linking our new research to previous research, the new research has effectively contributed to the growth of knowledge. That is what social science is focusing on, making observations and seeking connections through society. This makes me excited because everyone has a different background and it becomes a culture shock for us. I am curious about how people view the same thing differently on the same thing. Based on my own identity as Chinese, I am wondering whether my mother tongue will affect my ways of thinking.

Work Cited

King, Martin Luther. “The Role of the Behavioral Scientist in the Civil Rights Movement.” Https://Spssi-Onlinelibrary-Wiley-Com.ccny-proxy1.Libr.ccny.cuny.edu/Doi/Full/10.1111/Josi.12265, City College Libraries, 25 June 2018.

Responses

Welcome to Social Paper (beta)!