Writing Resistance – Fall 2020

Public Group active 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Writing Resistance – Fall 2020

Group logo of Writing Resistance – Fall 2020

Discussion Forum: “What to Think about When Writing for…” (DUE 11/23)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #102981

ReadWhat to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience” by Amanda Wray

Post your response to the assigned reading (100-150 words) on the group discussion forum HERE. See discussion question(s) below.

• Discussion Question(s): What is one idea from the text that interests or confuses you? Why? After reading this text, what strategies might you use to write your Composition in Two Genres?
    #102998
    Alice Liu
    Participant

In the article, “What to think about when writing for a particular audience” by Amanda Wray, Wray makes it clear that depending on the audience of your paper/essay, your writing will be different in terms of tone, language, and appeal. One idea from the text that interests me was the chart that consisted of audience, purpose, context, medium. It offered questions that I would not normally consider when planning my essay. I would even use this chart in ‘mapping’ out my essay. Another strategy I would use in my Composition in Two Genre essay is to consider the question of what does my audience already know. Since this essay’s audience is going to be the US government, they probably already know the terms such as redlining, GI Bill, etc. The audience in my research paper are people who are interested in the historical aspect of the racial wealth gap, so they might’ve not known what those terms meant. Therefore, if I consider this question, the way my composition in two genre essay is written is going to be different.

#103002
    Elena Yu Xu
    Participant

In Amanda Wray’s article, “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience,” she talks about some of the techniques we should include in our Two Genres Composition by providing us with examples and explaining what some of the elements are to be used when writing our essay. One idea that interests me is that she briefly clarified the importance of our audience and how the tone, language, and appeals might differ depending on our topic. It helped me differentiate the purpose and meaning of each rhetorical appeal. After that, “audience, purpose, context, and medium” are some of the techniques I would use to include in my essay to briefly talk about the purpose of it. Next, as my audience, I will use college students and higher education institutions in the U.S. to address the depression of college students, what some of the risk factors for this problem are, and how my audience can behave or act on this matter.

#103032
    Aditya Sankar Das
    Participant

Every writer must have a clear thought of their audience. Their conversation with their audience may be different based on the audience’s age. After reading the text, this article discussed different kinds of strategies to communicate with your audience effectively. It explained how the author’s tone, language, and appeal can be changed based on whom he is writing. This article talked about so many strategies I might use to compose my genres. First of all, the article talked about different rhetorical strategies such as ethos (appeal to credibility), pathos (an emotion of sympathetic pity), and logos (appeal to logic). The reason ethos, pathos, and logos matter are that they support you out-persuading you. They help me to understand what makes my audience convincing and help my audience to connect with me. 

#103133
    Jaden Fabro
    Participant

The article “What to Think About When Writing for a Particular Audience” by Amanda Wray emphasizes the importance in choosing a target audience. She writes about how in a writing assignment, our tone, language, and appeal will have to be tailored to fit our audience, purpose, context, and medium. What interested me most is how Wray said, “When you write to all readers, you, in fact, write to know one at all.” I found this to be a great way to prove her point and an easy way to remember to specify an audience. After reading this article, I will be sure to keep in mind my tone, language, and appeal for my intended audience. I will also be intentional in choosing between colloquial or formal language, as well as in picking whether to use pathos, ethos, or logos.

#103185
    Christine Castillo
    Participant

After reading Amanda Wray’s “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience,” I am able to create a much better outline when planning my audience strategy for the Composition in Two Genres. Her breakdown of Audience, Purpose, Context, and Medium was clear and helpful. I also appreciated her example about the different tones and suggestions used when corresponding to a parent versus a friend. However, I still find tailoring a piece of writing to a specific group or population one of the more difficult tasks to conquer, especially when composing an informational work, about a wide topic, while remaining intentionally neutral. I hope to be able to apply Wray’s strategies successfully in this week’s assignment.

#103193
    Alexa Morales
    Participant

In the article “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience”, one thing that interests me the most was probably the way she explained the different writing processes. I never really thought about how important these steps really are that when she mentioned how you should properly write an email, it made me realize that I should be more careful in my own emails. After reading this article I’m going to do my best with being aware of my topic and my formality, that way I’m able to get my point across. I feel like this article will help me a lot while writing my new composition.

#103234
    Andrey Musin
    Participant

This short article focused on detailing the audience and how necessary it can be when we are writing. I think the most interesting point mentioned and something I have not thought deeply about are the three focal points one must think about when writing. Those are tone, language, and appeal. Now when I write I will make more of an effort to keep these three concepts at the forefront of my mind so as to make a better quality piece of writing. I think that all three give a piece of writing more direction and will be better understood by those that read it.

#103253
    Miranda McCants
    Participant

In the article, “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience” one idea that interested me was the idea on how to properly conduct and write an email. I knew when writing an email you had to be professional, but it really made me overthink how I write my emails and what to do next time. In the article is also touched on the topic pertaining to the importance of a target audience when writing, and I knew writing had an audience, but I never looked at it like writing fora certain group of people. Furthermore, when the article was explaining the language, tone, appeal, and audience and following questions that I never really thought of or considered to incorporate in my writing.

#103255
    Edward Quezada
    Participant

After reading the article “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience”, an idea that stood out to me was how the tone, language, and appeal may vary depending on the target audience. We must be careful when deciding how we will express our ideas in an example being, providing information to a young child in comparison to a young adult. We must use simple language and a playful tone when the written text is being read by a young child while we must use strong vocabulary along with a more complex and professional tone when written works are being read by a professor. I will use this idea as a strategy when expressing my points and discussing information for my audience throughout my essay.

#103264
    Jiajie Liang
    Participant

In the article, “What to think about when writing for a particular audience” by Amanda Wray, she explains the strategic purpose of an essay by looking at audience goals. We can convey different rhetorical strategies depending on the audience, topic, tone, and language , therefore, I can use in my research paper. We can also analyze the purpose of the audience strategy to help the audience relate to the topic of the essay. That’s can help the audience to find an effective solution to the problem they want to solve or a way to get more ideas out of the article. For me, I think learning about tone, context, and strategies for distinguishing between different rhetorical purposes is a skill and a way to improve my own writing.

#103278
    Haseeb Chaudhury
    Participant

In the article, “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience” one thing that interested me was that the way an individual talk to someone else depends on who they are talking to. The article uses examples such as when you talk to a child you use simple language and a playful tone whereas talking to a professor you use academic language and a formal tone to communicate. Furthermore, there are many factors in communication. The main factor is the appeal of the individual in which you use the 3 appeals such as logos, pathos, and ethos to communicate. The strategy I might employ is having an appeal to my audience especially in my case it would be educators in showing them how American education is flawed. I plan to appeal to them by using logos by presenting statistical information and maintaining a formal style of tone.

#103283
    Fahmida Akter
    Participant

In the article “What to Think about When Writing for a Particular Audience” by Amanda Wray, Wray talks about the importance of knowing the audience.  She explained how we can use different rhetorical strategies depending on the language, tone, topic, audience. One idea that really stood out to be is the proper way of writing an email. She gave examples about how our tone, language should change depending on different age group. I am looking forward to using her advise to improve my understanding about the type of audience I will be writting for.

#103289
    Faith Morales
    Participant

In the article, “What to Think About When Writing for a Particular Audience”, I found it really interesting how to author used a familiar event to show her readers how an audience can be used in real-life events. She explained how you would speak to your parents in a different way than your roommate. This stuck out to me because I know I can relate to situations like this. There are always times when you have to change your tone or the way you speak depending on your situation or the person to which you are talking to. I believe this helps me very much when it comes to writing my essay. The author of this article provided a lot of information on how to identify your specific audience and then adapt your writing for that specific purpose. This advice will be very useful during my writing process in the near future.

#103293
    Andrew Salmieri
    Participant

In “What to Think About When Writing for a Particular Audience”, Amanda Wray discusses how style of writing depends on the audience. She discusses how aspects such as tone, language and appeal will have to cater to this audience. Additionally, she says that the tone and language must also align with the purpose and context of what is being written about. The way she discussed audience, purpose, context, and medium has made it much easier to put together an outline for Essay # 3. What I found interesting was when she discussed emails and how our style of writing should depend on the age of the person we are emailing. Wray has given me tools that I will use to further tailor my essay.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.