Order by:

File List

Mary Claire's book review (116.1k)   Uploaded by Mary Claire Brunelli on 3/17/2019

Hi Everyone, Here is my review on a biography Edgar Allan Poe and a critical text on beautiful, dead women. Fun stuff for a Sunday read! Anyways, I'd appreciate opinions on CAPITALIZATION. Poe does it and Bronfen sometimes does it, but I am unsure there is much of a difference between Beauty and beauty or Death and death in my own writing. Also, like a good American, I do employ the Oxford comma, which you will not see in citations from Bronfen's work. She's German, and I can't argue with that. See you all Wednesday!

Journal article on Lippard's The Quakeer City (226.8k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 3/15/2019

For next Wed., please read this article on Lippard I recently wrote. It gives you a taste of what goes into writing for a scholarly journal.

DSR article on Poe's "The Cask of Amontillado" (5.6m)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 3/9/2019

Hi, Since you'll be writing an essay for this class, I thought it would be useful to read and discuss sample essays of mine. Here' one on Poe. Please read it for our Poe class, Mar. 20. -DR

Hawthorne describes Melville 1856 (17.8k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 3/6/2019

Hi, Here's that moving passage Hawthorne wrote when Melville visited him in Liverpool in November 1856. It was mentioned in class last week. Give it a read! DR

Onur's Book Review for Wednesday (29.7k)   Uploaded by Onur Ayaz on 3/4/2019

Hi all, Uploading my book review for Wednesday. Hope you're all enjoying the snow day--looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Wednesday.

Eva Gordon Book Review 2.25.19 (206.7k)   Uploaded by Eva Sage Gordon on 2/25/2019

Hi All, Here's my review for this week's class. Please let me know if you have any trouble opening it. Cheers, Eva

Example of a positive review (809.3k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 2/17/2019

I wrote this positive review of a Lincoln book for the Wall Street Journal, where it appears this weekend, for Presidents' Day. Please read it for Feb. 20.

Example of negative review (421.7k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 2/17/2019

Here's a negative review of a Lincoln book I wrote for The American Scholar. Please read it for our Feb. 20 class.

Thoreau's John Brown lecture with page numbers (56.4k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 2/12/2019

Hi, I realize my previously uploaded version of Thoreau's lecture on John Brown lacked page numbers. You could either pencil in page numbers on the previous version or use this one, which has page numbers. -Prof R

Thoreau, A Plea for Captain John Brown (54.1k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 2/11/2019

All, For Wed. Jan. 13, please read this version of Thoreau's lecture on John Brown, not the abridged version in the Norton Anthology. -DR

David S. Reynolds book review on Joyce Carol Oates stories and Benfey's book on Dickinson & others (202.2k)   Uploaded by Eva Sage Gordon on 2/8/2019

Hi All, Here is the review we mentioned in class on Oates' and Benfey's books. Read this for Wed. Feb. 13. -Eva

Review schedule and syllabus as of 2/6/19 (24k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 2/6/2019

Hi - I added one book reviewer and also a couple of additional readings for 2/13, out Thoreau day. -DR

Reynolds review of two Whitman books (4.2m)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 2/5/2019

Hi, Here's an essay-review I did for NY Review of Books on two recent Whitman-related books. Read it for our Wed. Feb. 13 class. -DSR

David Reynolds Book Review Sample 1 (5.1m)   Uploaded by Eva Sage Gordon on 2/2/2019

Hi Everyone, I'm just uploading a few sample book reviews to help with the assignment. -Eva

Book Review and Syllabus (38.8k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 1/31/2019

Hi all, Here is the book review schedule, as we arranged in class.

Syllabus Spring 2019 American Renaissance (38.2k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 1/30/2019

Reading list, assigned texts, and course requirements.

Journal article in Chicago Style (494.8k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 11/4/2017

A recent example of an article in Chicago Style.

MLA sample essay - Pudue Owl (286.2k)   Uploaded by David S. Reynolds on 11/4/2017

This sample essay includes some instructions re specific aspects of the MLA Style.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message