Group logo of The Teaching and Learning Center

Fwd: Presentation on Game Project / Game tools from teaching at Baruch

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

FYI…

Begin forwarded message:
    >
    > From: Katherine Behar <Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu>
    > Subject: Fwd: Presentation on Game Project / Game tools from teaching at Baruch
    > Date: February 26, 2021 at 3:40:50 PM EST
    > To: “Matthew K. Gold” <mattgold@gmail.com>, “Nielsen, Jason” <jnielsen@GC.CUNY.EDU>, “lwaltzer@gmail.com” <lwaltzer@gmail.com>, “Michael Mandiberg” <michael@mandiberg.com>
    >
    > Dear all
    >
    > Would you please circulate this invitation to members of our respective communities at the GC? This is for folks who may be caring for small children during the pandemic. It’s is a fascinating digital project that Dan Lichtman developed using tools he created for teaching a course on art games at Baruch. For that reason I was thinking it might also be of interest for digital pedagogy.
    >
    > All best,
    > Katherine
    >
    >
    > •
    > Katherine Behar
    > Associate Professor of New Media Arts
    > Baruch College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
    > Deputy Chair of Art, Fine & Performing Arts Department, Baruch College, CUNY
    > Deputy Director, M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization, The Graduate Center, CUNY
    > katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu>
    > •
    >
    >
    >
    >> Begin forwarded message:
    >>
    >> From: Daniel Lichtman <danielp73@gmail.com <mailto:danielp73@gmail.com>>
    >> Subject: Re: Presentation on Game Project / Game tools from teaching at Baruch
    >> Date: February 25, 2021 at 3:43:57 PM EST
    >> To: Katherine Behar <Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu>>
    >>
    >> Hi Katherine,
    >> Here is an invitation to contribute to this project. It would be great if you can circulate it to whomever you think might be interested!
    >> Best,
    >> Dan
    >>
    >>
    >> Dear Baruch FPA Faculty,
    >>
    >> I’m Daniel Lichtman, Adjunct Professor teaching New Media Art classes at Baruch. I’m reaching out to invite you to make a (quick!) contribution to a video game project I’m working on about caring for young children during the pandemic. The game, called The Raisin Truck Makes Raisins, draws on sketches, drawings, paintings, photographs, sound recordings and other ephemera contributed by care-takers from a variety of family, living and employment situations, as well their children. Through open-ended gameplay in a series of abstract game environments, the project aims to reflect on a range of experiences with childcare-in-isolation: busy, beautiful, frustrating and chaotic, and marked by vulnerability, aggravation and resilience. This project is based on game development tools that I created for NMA 3022: Art Games and Virtual Worlds.
    >>
    >> Contributions can be fun and informal—I suggest spending up to 5 minutes gathering and emailing materials. I am looking for any of the following: photos of sketches, drawings or paintings created by care-taker or child; sound recordings; photographs; and/or short video clips. I’m interested in associations and feelings related to childcare rather than images of children—images can be abstract. I appreciate the personal nature of this request and I am happy to credit your contribution, or keep it anonymous.
    >>
    >> I am also looking for collaborators who would like to compose their own scenes for this game. This does not require a technical background, but would involve learning some basic virtual scene design skills! If this is of interest to you, I would be glad to discuss further.
    >>
    >> Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance for any contribution or involvement in this project!
    >>
    >> Best wishes,
    >> Daniel Lichtman
    >>
    >>
    >> Game development images/video attached below. More info at http://www.daniellichtman.com/raisintruck (http://www.daniellichtman.com)
    >>
    >>
    >> https://youtu.be/W_ick76APsM (youtu.be)
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 3:11 PM Katherine Behar <Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu>> wrote:
    >> Great! My pleasure about the letter and please share a write up when you have one. I can circulate at the GC as well
    >>
    >> •
    >> Katherine Behar
    >> Associate Professor of New Media Arts
    >> Baruch College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
    >> Deputy Chair of Art, Fine & Performing Arts Department, Baruch College, CUNY
    >> Deputy Director, M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization, The Graduate Center, CUNY
    >> katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu>
    >> •
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> On Feb 22, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Daniel Lichtman <danielp73@gmail.com <mailto:danielp73@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hi Katherine,
    >>> Thank you for submitting the letter!
    >>>
    >>> Regarding parents in the department, that’s a great idea. Most people who have participated have submitted drawings, paintings, photos and other totally non-technical things. Though I’d be really interested in somebody using these tools to compose their own scene in Unity. I’ll write something up and it would be great to circulate it. Thank you for suggesting.
    >>>
    >>> Best,
    >>> Dan
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 8:35 PM Katherine Behar <Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu>> wrote:
    >>> Hi Dan,
    >>> I wanted to let you know that I submitted the letter. Please keep me updated on your progress and good luck!
    >>>
    >>> BTW, I believe we have some colleagues in the department who are parents. If you want to make a little write up we could circulate… Entirely up to you, of course, and I am not sure how tech savvy they are. Just a thought!
    >>>
    >>> All best,
    >>> Katherine
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> •
    >>> Katherine Behar
    >>> Associate Professor of New Media Arts
    >>> Baruch College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
    >>> Deputy Chair of Art, Fine & Performing Arts Department, Baruch College, CUNY
    >>> Deputy Director, M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization, The Graduate Center, CUNY
    >>> katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu>
    >>> •
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> On Feb 18, 2021, at 9:11 PM, Daniel Lichtman <danielp73@gmail.com <mailto:danielp73@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> thank you! a fun result of teaching this course!
    >>>>
    >>>> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 2:37 PM Katherine Behar <Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:Katherine.Behar@baruch.cuny.edu>> wrote:
    >>>> Sorry for being a full week behind with email but I hope this went well and congratulations on the talk! I’m so glad that this came out of 3022! 🙂
    >>>>
    >>>> •
    >>>> Katherine Behar
    >>>> Associate Professor of New Media Arts
    >>>> Baruch College and The Graduate Center, City University of New York
    >>>> Deputy Chair of Art, Fine & Performing Arts Department, Baruch College, CUNY
    >>>> Deputy Director, M.S. Program in Data Analysis and Visualization, The Graduate Center, CUNY
    >>>> katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu <mailto:katherine.behar@baruch.cuny.edu>
    >>>> •
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Feb 9, 2021, at 12:27 PM, Daniel Lichtman <danielp73@gmail.com <mailto:danielp73@gmail.com>> wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Hi Guys,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I’m giving a brief presentation on Thursday evening that I wanted to share with you — it’s mostly about a video game project I’m working on, but also about some of the tools I’ve developed for working with students at Baruch on Unity in NMA 3041 (now 3022) – Art Games.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The project is a collaboratively produced open-world game about caring for young children during the pandemic. It uses a set of tools for Unity which are designed to make it easy to create vibrant and layered scenes, and a lot of interactivity, without any prior experience in code or game design.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> The presentation is part of the New Media Caucus program for the College Art Association Conference. The program (with other presenters) starts at 8pm. Here’s a link where you can sign up if you’re interested! https://www.newmediacaucus.org/events/caa-2021/caa-2021-showcase-presenters/ (http://www.newmediacaucus.org)
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Best,
    >>>>> Dan
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>
    >

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.