Tarannum Rahman’s Portfolio

Public Group active 3 years, 4 months ago

Tarannum Rahman’s Portfolio

Group logo of Tarannum Rahman's Portfolio

Annotated Image: “A Clinical Lesson at the Salpêtrière” by André Brouillet

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #104449

In this picture, it is evident that many of these students were required to learn through first-hand experiments which made me feel slightly uncomfortable because it seems that Freud may not have been confident enough to share his findings through word of mouth. This picture entails a woman as the test subject which made me upset considering that the meaning of hysteria came from the word, ‘womb” and women were the main test subjects for this research.  In lecture one, also states that many doctors treated patients of hysteria differently compared to patients with any psychical illnesses. This adds to the idea that a lot of these doctors believed the patients were merely being dramatic or exaggerating their symptoms which leads back to the misconception that women are dramatic. The lecture also entails a room full of men which didn’t appeal to me due to the simple fact that even if they are postgraduate students. I believe since this research was based on women, a female opinion would’ve aided in breaking down what Marie may have been experiencing and why. The picture in the wall behind the seated men where the woman is lifting off the bed also shows the intensity of these experiments and how harsh these traumas actually were. You can also notice a stretcher in the corner of the picture which shows that these women were not in the right headspace. This made me question how the research would’ve differed if these experiments were done on patients with hysteria who were able to under control their outbreaks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)