Spring 2020 Sociology of Education

Group logo of Spring 2020 Sociology of Education

The History and Goals of Public Schooling

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jacqueline Pena
    Participant

When schooling was in it early stages of development, the political standpoint on teaching children political views was deemed necessary in order to create trust within the minds of the youth. I just find it baffling that they included the word “god” in the pledge of allegiance because I actually never realized how the can impact a children of non Christian religions. From the social standpoint, religious institutions argued that you can’t teach moral values without including religion and I find that to be completely false. What I can agree on is that moral values do stem from religion, however, that does not mean we have to include religious figures in school lessons. Instead use the basic concepts of religious values such as being kind to others, don’t lie or steal, etc. there values are what construct a civilized and morally just individual. From a economical standpoint, the United States believed that it was essential to instill education to children at young age in order to give them a better advantage in succeeding in their futures. I do agree that early childhood education is vital in giving kids an advantage at being successful in life but the United States’ overall intentions in education eventually became a competitive structure. Government officials such a George W. Bush, wanted our nation to compete with other nations such as China so then follows the creation of standardized testing. This disappoints me greatly because in our era there is such much pressure to make sure kids pass these tests that we have pulled back funding on arts, music and even sports education. Those aspects of education or what I believe are the most important in overall success and happiness.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.