Public Group active 3 months, 2 weeks ago

Sociology M.S. in Applied Social Research

Group logo of Sociology M.S. in Applied Social Research

Now is the time to REGISTER!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jessie Daniels
    Participant

A number of you have emailed me about registration, and now is the time to REGISTER!  The Hunter College administration would like it if you’d all register by the end of this week so they have an idea about enrollments for the fall. Here are the classes for this fall:

• Monday, 5:35pm (MOI: in person):
      • “Thinking Critically in a Digital Society” (GSR 701) (DeGloma)
    • Tuesday, 5:35pm (MOI: in person):
      • “Quantitative Digital Research Methods” (GSR 711/SOC 42503-01 58587 listed as “Research Methods II”) (Eisenstadt)
    • Wednesday (MOI: fully online):
      • 5:35pm: “Seminar in Evaluation Research” (GSR 717/SOC 42500-02 60100 listed as “Seminar in Sel Prob Soc”) (Madondo)
      • 7:35pm: “Presenting Your Professional Self” (GSR 790 – listed as “Special Topics”)(Igunbor)*
    • Thursday, 5:30 (MOI: in person):
      • “Statistics I” (GSR 708/SOC 42501-01-9408 listed as “Intermediate Stats”) (Li)
    • Individual Schedules (MOI: fully online):
      • Internship (GSR 718/SOC 49801) (Daniels)

*This course, taught by Prof.Debbie Igunbor (an alum of our program), is a new elective and will cover: how to make professional presentations using slide decks, how to craft a resume to secure a research position, interview skills, and salary negotiation. The class will also introduce students to basic skills of how to network in ways that can lead to an internship or job offer.  I encourage everyone to take it.

For those who are new to the program, the process is this: 

Each semester you will need to reach out to me via email, include your unique student identifier (EMPL ID), indicate which courses you want to take. Then, I have to go into CUNYFirst and click the permissions for each class (for each student). (I’m working with the administration to streamline this process so you don’t need me to click things for you, but that will take some time.) There’s never any need to worry about registration, as these classes do not fill so there is no chance that you will be “locked out” of a class. Sometimes I’m slow to get to the “clicking on things” part and I like to respond to these requests in a batch, so if there is a delay, again please be patient.

If you’ve already requested your courses for the fall semester, I’m going back through emails and clicking on things for you. If you’re still blocked from registering at the end of tomorrow (Tuesday, 8/2), email me and remind me of your request.

NEW for BA/MS students (only): register for undergraduate (SOC) courses when possible. You’ll notice that the classes have two designations: GSR and SOC. These are the SAME classes but with slightly different institutional designations. For those of you in the BA/MS program, you’ll want to register for the SOC courses whenever possible.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.