Sociology M.S. in Applied Social Research

Group logo of Sociology M.S. in Applied Social Research

New Fall Schedule – Coming Soon

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jessie Daniels
    Participant

Several of you have emailed me requests to register for the fall semester, but the schedule that’s up now is not the final one. There is a new fall schedule on the way and it will look like this:

• Monday, 5:30 (MOI: in person):
      • “Thinking Critically in a Digital Society” (GSR 701) (DeGloma)
    • Tuesday, 5:30 (MOI: in person):
      • “Quantitative Digital Research Methods” (GSR 711) (Eisenstadt)
    • Wednesday (MOI: fully online):
      • “Seminar in Evaluation Research” (GSR 717) (Madondo)**
      • “Presenting Your Professional Self” (GSR 790) (Igunbor)*
    • Thursday, 5:30 (MOI: in person):
      • “Statistics I” (GSR 708) (Li)
    • Individual Schedules (MOI: hybrid):
      • Internships (GSR 718) (Daniels)

*This course, taught by Prof.Debbie Igunbor (an alum of our program) is offered as a new elective and will cover: how to make professional presentations using slide decks, how to craft a resume to secure a research position, interview skills, and salary negotiation. The class will also introduce students to basic skills of how to network in ways that can lead to an internship or job offer.  I encourage everyone to take it.

**This course (GSR 717) is typically taken in Year 2.

All the other courses listed (besides Igunbor’s) are required. If you need additional electives, you can search for courses at other departments within Hunter College, at the Graduate Center, at the CUNY School of Journalism, at Queens College. The procedure for taking an elective outside the department is: 1) contact the professor teaching the class, request permission to enroll; 2) THAT department issues what’s called an “e-permit,” within CUNY First; 3) the e-permit comes auto-magically to my inbox, I click things, permission granted; 4) you enroll in the usual way.

The updated fall schedule will be posted in CUNY First in the coming days. Please note the “MOI” or Mode of Instruction for each course. I’ve re-designed the schedule so that on Wednesdays, both classes offered are entirely online, to ease the travel burden for both instructors and students. In keeping with the overall Hunter College goal of offering a majority of classes in person, the rest of the classes listed require everyone’s physical attendance.

As a reminder, a full-time load is 3 or 4 courses (maximum). I want to discourage anyone from “overloading” on more courses beyond that and I will not grant course approvals over the maximum.

Once you’ve had a chance to figure out what you want to take, then please email me directly (jdaniels@hunter.cuny.edu) with your unique student identifier. Do not reply to this message with that confidential information, as then it is displayed for everyone to see. 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.