Poets Together!

Public Group active 1 year, 6 months ago

a word!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

??hello dear all,

just to add to our discussions about translation (and, yes, the various translations of Virginia Woolf I engaged with are now referred to on the Univ. of Edinburgh press site, thanks for pointing this out, Pat!) were fascinating to me, and so long ago now, writing my chapters for Surprised in Translation (Univ of Chicago) was fun indeed but I couldn’t leave the topic until I shared this word that gave away a murderer in some film we just saw:

he (James Mason, who else?) is queried by a super-smart and subtle detective who has said, oh, sometimes it is just a word or phrase that gives away the guilty person, and then asks James to describe what happened, so he replies and then “the car drove away afterwards’ instead of saying “after”… and behold, he had admitted something happened!

THAT is a perfect instance of how details matter !

so next semester any of us who want to be with us will take up various omissions and obsessions, a topic that engages something not only about language, but also… pretty maximal or minimal as it happens! Let me know, anyone who will be with us, as it were…

best to each, Mary Ann

Mary Ann Caws

oh my, friends! this post reminds me how much i miss professor translator extraordinaire Mary Ann Caws already!

…now? it is entirely AWFUL not having “reading group” in my weekly lineup!

ack! here’s to our forthcoming spring gatherings and all their future awesomeness!

i miss all of you and hope will everyone is returning… yes??!!  and, i hope you won’t mind continuing to put up with my standard off-topic madnesses! 🙂

love to all!

~mf.

Patricia Brody
    Participant

Words, lines, pictures of art.

Maureen, Please!
    I miss us all too , and fear I will lose more brain molecules
    Without the reading and poets group.
    Do please keep posting.
    All of you:your OWN writings as well.
    Chris, Maddie, Jojo
    Poems and drawing!
    Pat L, Maureen Mariana essays books ary

Please please!
    Who has Mary Ann s memoir?
    Im longing to read it , and of course the cookbooks.

Is Gaze of Orpheus Mary Anns or Mariana’s
    Or whose?

PLEASE send link?
    Whose link is it?

Many thanks for each post!

Patricia

Patricia Brody
    Participant

Absolument!
    Or Absolutamente
    or
    PULEEZE!

Madeleine Barnes
    Participant

I will be there, and I, too feel the void of Monday without our group! Love to all.

On Oct 23, 2020, at 6:30 PM, Maureen E. Fadem (Poets Together!) <noreply@gc.cuny.edu> wrote:

Marianna Rosen
    Participant

Hi dear all!

Also already missing the group!

And have one more reason to be looking forward to spring!

The Gaze of Orpheus is an essay in a collection of stories under the same title by Maurice Blanchot ( the edition I have is translated by Lidia Davis). The essay in the link below is a different translation, I prefer Lidia Davis’s’ version, but alas, couldn’t find it online.

https://monoskop.org/images/9/94/Blanchot_Maurice_The_Space_of_Literature.pdf

Many thanks to you all!!!

Patricia Brody
    Participant

Thank you Marianna!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.