Poets Together!

Public Group active 1 year, 6 months ago

a blog thing

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #94082

hello dear friends, poets together and elastically informal, this is a blog I used to write and then forgot for years and am now, for some reason or other, picking bac, up and am even linking it to the Academic Works

possibility which seems so great to me, and just put two things on it, one coming out on air bubbles (cornell, and duchamp, the Joseph one and the Marcel one) in Venti, a new journal they invited me to say something in, AND one on Arthur Cravan, on whom, anyway, and so on, so I will stick it in here if I can!

So the quadruple exclamation points signal that I forgot I HAD HAD a blog and am now attaching it to the Academic Works possibility which means that until you are ready to send something off to your publisher and just want to try it out for size, or for anything, you can just stick it in — if you are part of the graduate school at CUNY students or faculty or associated — and that is more or less it.

I am happily volunteering to “lead” or really just welcome a mini-seminar public and we have, most of the participants and myself, been elastically together, sharing what we are reading and working on (“projects” for anyone who wants to take it for one credit in any of the 3 phd programs I am part of, and do one short paper, period) and we all just talk, for about an hour and about 15 minutes, during five weeks, SO INFORMAL (thus, elastic) that it won’t ever be anything else,

except that since this semester it is nominally on the topics of “translation” and “interpretation” and next semester, nominally (I like the word) on “omission” and “obsession” (I like the words), it is sort of hovering around those places.

and i have to do a something on some kind of thing, poddishlly I guess, with some artist (Mark David Baer, whom I know not, but who read a little book I did on the Great Marcel, from Monterey on PROUST SO I SAID YES, 2 half-hour recordings or whatever

so I am re-reading Le Temps retrouvé and it turns out he read it in Scott Moncrieff’s translation (and I had forgotten SM was a spy, don’t you love it?) and yes I have to read Henry James’ “a bundle of letters”!!! so will send this to various friends concerned with poetry and letters, and so on

so, until next time, best to anyone who reads this, mary ann caws

?

Mary Ann Caws

#94191

hi mary ann!

that all sounds great. …is there a link to your blog?

and yes, i would LOVE to “try things out for size” that i’m working on for eventual publication. lots of things right now. other things soon coming out and done.

warmly,

~maureen

#94467

Hi everyone –

Here is the blog – http://blog.maryanncaws.com/

Enjoy!

#94620
    chiara caputi
    Participant

I am sorry but I am not able to log into the Zoom meeting, could someone please help me?

#94627

hi chiara! the next meeting is not today — it’s a week from today, on the 14th — ok?

look fwd to see you and everyone then!

~maureen

#94629
    chiara caputi
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help, Maureen!

#94695
    Patricia Brody
    Participant

Thank you from me too Maureen!

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 5:12 PM Dr. Maureen E. Fadem (Poets Together!) <
    noreply@gc.cuny.edu> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

#94697
    Patricia Brody
    Participant

Hello Chiara

Nice to meet you. It was Labor Day in NY and around the country.

Actually It would be fun and enlightening to know what part of globe our
    Poets Together group is.

I am on Aquidneck Island, Rhode Island near Sachuest Wildlife Refuge and
    beach until October 15.

I am interested in who we are because we can’t meet in a classroom, around
    a table and see one another.

Thank you all!

Patricia Brody MSW Columbia
    MA English CCNY

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 5:08 PM chiara caputi (Poets Together!) <
    noreply@gc.cuny.edu> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

#94719

thank you for that inquiry patricia. i am only in brooklyn, not so exciting. 🙂

but i do have a few things, also, to ask about…

firstly, chiara, i have been interested in your name because it reminds me — speaking of translation, or something like translation — it reminds me of a phrase in irish gaelic — now i am not fluent in irish, i know six words! — but i am engaged with the irish language as an irish studies person and will, soon, learn it for real. (sign of the cross) anyhow, my friend, in irish “my friend” is actually “mo chara” (the ch is a guttural sound, not a k sound) or (plural) “mo chairde” and it is that, every time i see your name, chiara, for some reason my mind immediately goes to: mo chara, mo chairde. …and i wonder then what “chiara” means in italian?

secondly, was something mentioned in our first meeting about “ex-vaginal“? or a word like this? i thought that i had written it down but i’m not finding it now — in part i need to know because i am writing something on seamus heaney’s “vaginas” — really, his borders / borderlands (in the prose, not the poems) that really become shaped, by him, into something like a vaginal space, a portal or “scrim” between worlds which (as paul muldoon has theorized) has in the irish context a very particular… development and valence. anyhow i had wanted to followup on this exvaginal term idea in order to put it next what i’m working on on heaney. …does anyone remember this from our last meeting? what was it?

lastly, thirdly, i did finally submit my proposal for an article on joyce’s “the dead” in radical history review (special issue on ireland in a global frame) and now i await the response. i mention because it hits various registers we have / are discussing, silence, speaking, translation, language, poetry-music, and all that. it’s the first thing i am trying to write on joyce, which is a scary proposition at any time given the weight and mass of (dun dun dun) “the joyceans.” but i am also keen to have a voice in this issue of the journal and specifically on joyce, so, fingers massively crossed!

that is all for now, mo chairde

~maureen

#94741
    chiara caputi
    Participant

Dear Maureen,
    Thank you for sharing two of the six words you know in Irish, it was fascinating!
    By the way, my name is an Italian one and it has a Latin origin. It derives from the adjective “clarus, clara, clarum” which means bright, shining, and famous. It’s not only a name but also an adjective in Italian (chiara /chiaro) and it can be translated in English as “clear” and “light”. Please feel free to ask anything else you’re curious to ask about, I’ll be happy to answer you.
    I cannot remember the mention “ex-vaginal” during the last lesson.
    I wish you the very best of luck for your article about Joyce, I would like to read it when it will be published!
    Have a nice day
    Chiara