LTS 360/ART 350 Special Topics: Interdisciplinary Design Course: Immigration Design

Group logo of LTS 360/ART 350 Special Topics: Interdisciplinary Design Course: Immigration Design

Week 2: Discussion board questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #107096

For this week, read and watch the following materials and then write a substantive response to two of the questions below.

Read:

Americas Quarterly, The Migration Issue, 2020.

Americas Quarterly, Our Immigrant Hemisphere, 2008 You don’t need to read every word of every article in these two issues of the Americas Quarterly, but read as much as you need to in order to understand some of the ways that the migration discussion in the Americas is different now than a decade ago. See questions below before you read.

Watch: Harvest of Shame and Bitter Harvest No need to watch these documentaries in their entirety. Just watch enough to get a sense of how the framing of the issue of migratory farm labor has changed over the last 50+ years.

Read:

Why Design, by Julie Zhuo, Medium, 2016

Everyone is a designer, Get over it, by Daniel Burka, Medium, 2017

Watch:

The next big thing is coming from the Bronx, again, Jon Gray, TEDTalk, 2019

Then, choose two of the following questions to answer. Make sure to draw on the course materials in your response. If you refer to something that is on the syllabus, name it. If you refer to something that is not on the syllabus, let us know what you’re referring to by inserting a link or a citation.

Questions:

1. What’s been the most unexpected innovation you’ve taken advantage of lately and why?
    2. Who are the members of society that will bring “the next big thing” into our lives and what’s your expected result?
    3. How has the debate about migration and immigrants in the Americas changed over the last decade? What are the major issues and themes today and how are they different than they were the last time we had a major push for immigration reform in the US (in 2006-2008)?
    4. Immigration debates in the US often center on labor and the contributions immigrant workers make, with migratory farm labor playing a big role in people’s imaginations of migration. Of course not all immigrants work and most do not work in agriculture. What is gained and lost with the emphasis on labor? How does this shape our thinking about the immigration issue?

Write your responses by midnight on Wednesday.

#107281
      <li style=”font-weight: 400;” aria-level=”1″>What’s been the most unexpected innovation you’ve taken advantage of lately, and why?

The most incredible innovation that I have taken advantage of lately has been zoom, the online classes, and TikTok. Because thanks to the pandemic and the new “normality,” we have all had to get used to online courses through zoom or other applications. At the beginning of March, I thought that taking online classes and getting used to them would make it a bit difficult, but hey, now I’m 95% more accustomed to the new normal of life. And be at home all the time. Well, and about TikTok, it is a bit funny and very unexpected because last summer I was in the Dominican Republic. My cousin, who is 11 years old, asked me: Lina, do you have TikTok? and I very innocently said no, well she created an account for me, and now I’m like Julie Zhuo from Why Design with a Sony walkman that she had been given as a gift. For me, that I liked TikTok was something very unexpected, because before I thought it was going to be boring. But now it is not because the person in this application always has some creation of fun or personal entrepreneurship, and I find it interesting.

<li style=”font-weight: 400;” aria-level=”1″>Immigration debates in the US often center on labor and the contributions immigrant workers make, with migratory farm labor playing a big role in people’s imaginations of migration. Of course, not all immigrants work, and most do not work in agriculture. What is gained and lost with the emphasis on labor? How does this shape our thinking about the immigration issue?

Gained with the emphasis of work is that immigrant people have better economic opportunities and better economic development. Lost with the emphasis of work is lost many things, for example, health, benefits since many of these immigrant workers have their rights violated, etc. In Bittersweet Harvest: America’s migrant farmworkers,  explain the conditions immigrants live in and the house conditions where around 23 to 25 workers lived. Migration influences our minds a lot because it makes us think about what immigrants have to go through to reach the United States for a better future for themselves and their families. For example, in the article “When can we really rest?”, many immigrants have to go through some unexpected things. It is also essential to create better opportunities for all those workers who work day after day in the plantations and agriculture.

“When can we really rest?” https://story.californiasunday.com/darien-gap-migration 

#107399

LTS 360-A01
    Kevin Feliciano
    Professor Galvez/ Professor Silva

Week 2

Question #1

What’s been the most unexpected innovation you’ve taken advantage of lately and why?

One of my favorite and most used innovation used on a daily basis would be WhatsApp on my phone. I have always been a little old school when it comes to phone functions besides calling, texting and setting your alarm, so downloading apps on my phone to communicate never made sense to me, why would I keep downloading apps to talk, we already talk by the phone. But, after a while having this app it has got me closer to my family, we have a group and we communicate on a daily basis, even if is a basic picture of a dessert or coffee we might been enjoying at the moment. My 2 sisters are living in California, my mother is living in Puerto Rico, and I am in the Bronx, we are very apart from each other, but somehow having this app that is easier and more accessible to text, call, video call and sent context we don’t miss each other as much. Before this we would maybe call every other week and just have the exact same conversation over and over again which doesn’t make sense.
    Besides helping me keep in touch with family and friends, it is also very helpful to make groups from school and communicate with ease with other students as well. Very helpful for sending pictures from a project or even lets you send pdf and other nice tools.

Question#2

Who are the members of society that will bring “the next big thing” into our lives and what’s your expected result?

The members that will bring “the next big thing’’ into our lives would have to be people willing to believe in themselves, people with vision, people willing to push and fight for new policies to take place to benefit our community. We need to push for education, we need to change our perspective into what is “cool” and what is not. I expect to find a workplace where I can develop myself and be in a position that I can help others and be able to see that change. I have always been into agriculture and local farming and all that stuff, I would like to start implementing policies for mandatory gardens and farming for every state/city, where working with food becomes a normal activity for every person. We don’t need everyone to be a farmer, but I think if everyone goes through some farming experience, we would appreciate the food more, we would appreciate the people who do these types of work more and so on. Like, for example, in one of the videos it shows that food rot in the field because there were no workers available to pick it up, regardless if there is a strike or there is unavailability for one reason or another, I believe there should always people available to save food that can feed people which is the bottom line.

#107608

I did questions 1 and 3. They are pasted in the pdf attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #107688

Thanks! Can you try pasting your posts as text next time? It’s easier if people don’t have to open attachments to read your ideas.

#107745
    Emely
    Participant
    1. Who are the members of society that will bring “the next big thing” into our lives and what’s your expected result?

I think that the humans bringing  “the next big thing” are the ones already making changes on their own, risking everything, trying a new business opportunity or starting their own business, like Jon Gray and his friends, showing what’s possible if you do the right thing, they are showing the vision of what is possible if you work hard, no matter where you come from, by not forgetting that is okay to fall but don’t forget to always get up again and always work hard even thought things might get uncomfortable on the way but we cannot quit in order to win. Helping the community and making impact is also a big thing and I think the result will be very positive.

Immigration debates in the US often center on labor and the contributions immigrant workers make, with migratory farm labor playing a big role in people’s imaginations of migration. Of course, not all immigrants work and most do not work in agriculture. What is gained and lost with the emphasis on labor? How does this shape our thinking about the immigration issue?

When Immigrants decide to come to the United States they come to work with the purpose of giving their families a better life for the future, they work very hard to give the very best to them, they sacrifice a lot by doing that, one of the things the leave behind is going away from their loved ones, to start a low living condition in another country, like we saw in the videos Harvest of shame and bitter harvest, we saw the conditions of how they were living, a huge amount of people sleeping in one same room, which is really unfair, also not having time for themselves and getting out of their comfort zone for the best of their kids future and provide them with what they couldn’t have, most of the time is for a better education, since most of them didn’t have the opportunity to finish school back in their countries. When coming to work in the States, they get exploited by getting less pay for more time of work and not having any benefits because people know they don’t have documents and here is where I start thinking that this is the main issue in immigration they come to get a better life while helping the country and its economy and they get advantage of their situation, when it should really be a better way to be treated.

#107933
    Josmairy frias
    Participant

Who are the members of society that will bring “the next big thing” into our lives and what’s your expected result ? In my opinion, the people who can bring “ The next big thing”is the ones who take simple things evolve them to have a stronger meaning as Jon Gray did with his Ghetto Gastro, they view the work that they do as gastrodiplomacy, using food and finesse to open borders and connect culture. And that is what I expect from the results that we as a society learn to agree with others and know that no matter how small your business is, if it is good for your neighborhood and expresses something, like your culture and beliefs. you are making a great contribution to society 

Immigration debates in the US often center on labor and the contributions immigrant workers make, with migratory farm labor playing a big role in people’s imaginations of migration. Of course not all immigrants work and most do not work in agriculture. What is gained and lost with the emphasis on labor? How does this shape our thinking about the immigration issue?  Immigrants come to this country in search of opportunities, better jobs and a better life that they cannot economically have in their native country. Immigrants create an impact on the economy since their goal is to support their family and they appreciate the job they have and yet many companies take advantage of that and give them less than the minimum wage. Also  immigrants hold jobs that are important to our economy and communities. Immigrant workers without a college degree who appear to be a main target of the proposed rule are found throughout the economy, but make up a sizable share of the workers in certain industries.Firms in such industries will have a harder time hiring staff if these workers can no longer come to or stay in the United States.

#107976

Q1: One of the biggest in innovation I use the most is social media. By using platforms as Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, etc., we are able to keep in touch with friends and family. We can also use them to do a lot of research like what type of outfit to wear for a brunch, wish places to visit on vacation or what to cook for dinner. Another amazing thing about social media is you are able to chare some special moments with special people. I also use it as a digital portfolio by posting some of by best design and photography work. Even though we can find many negative things like false news or information, it will always be up to us to do our own research before believing everything we see or read. We just need to be smart on how to use social media properly.

Q2: The member of society that will bring “the best next thing” into our lives is everyone that are willing to take a first step to make a change. Like Mohandas Gandhi used to say, “Be the change you want to see in the word”. Yes! If we want something to change for better, we can’t seat down and expect it to happen. It doesn’t work like that. Small steps can make a big different. Stop littering our parks and street, learn how to replace plastic for glass and start being kind to each other instead of gossiping behind their back. Just remember that everything we do today is what our children will learn and teach to their own children. That’s how we can make a big thing by saving our planet and becoming better human being.

#107992

The most unexpected innovation I would say that is being taken advantage of for me would be the use of zoom and adobe. Since the pandemic and quarantine had started, we all found ourselves a bit depressed on what to do next, not being able to see my own grandmother that lives two floors down from our apartment was the worst and trying to see when we would speak to each other again even more so. But with zoom we were able to set up meetings, speak with relatives, and even have classes, today I would say zoom has grown on me and had made contactless more at ease. As for Adobe, the resources there not only for my schoolwork but they help to make creativity flow, its a good distraction from things that could lead to further stress and while stress is good sometimes, too much and under constant sight of it and need an outlet to let all focus move towards.

Those that bring out the next big thing, the innovators, thinkers, those that would take the first step forward into territory one can often find the best source of what the next big thing will be, if there are none then be the one that is said change. Yes such a thing is challenging, but for those that are willing and able there are quotes that could assist, patience is a virtue all the same, but when building what you need that is key, “for empires were not built in a day” And while the road is treacherous one must also know that the company you keep is all the crucial, keep with you partners, not liabilities and if such partners become liabilities they are in turn to become enemies. But because you have enemies, a rival, this can be crucial as well, someone to challenge you, for if you have an enemy it means you stood for what you believed is right

#108075
    1. The most unexpected innovation that I have been taking advantage of lately would have to be zoom. Family that I have not seen face to face in over 3 years is now possible. On the phone it feels less natural since I’m always on the phone but with zoom I have to actively get ready, almost as if I were getting ready to go out to see them. It also helps with helping my grandmother connect with our family in the Dominican Republic, she hasn’t been there in almost 5 years. Zoom definitely helped keep me sane during the very beginning of this pandemic and also made job interviews much less scary.
    2. Through the emphasis on labor in most conversations on immigration, we gain newfound information and understandings while losing sight of many problems surrounding it. We gain a better understanding in how immigration is beneficial for the economy, showing that immigration is the backbone of America as presented in the article “Moving the Debate Forward: What California can Teach us”. It could also present possible solutions to our country’s economic problems. However, we lose sight of the many reasons as to why immigrants should be allowed in. Labor should not be the primary reason. These gains and losses help us try to come up with ways of integrating immigrants into communities. Makes certain people question whether immigrants should only be allowed in for monetary reasons or just simple respect for human rights a sufficient reason.