LACUNY Scholarly Communications Roundtable

Group logo of LACUNY Scholarly Communications Roundtable

ScholComm Roundtable events in December and beyond

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #80331

Hi ScholComm Roundtable,

Nancy and I put our heads together and tried to figure out a way to squeeze as much roundtable activity as possible into the year without committing to too many meetings/events. What we came away with was this:

• December: “article club” + knowledge-sharing event about standardized identifiers. (Please see Doodle poll below!) The reading(s) are TBD, but we hope to select ones that will be relevant to the knowledge-sharing portion of the event. Get in touch if you have any suggestions!
    • March: “article club” (reading(s) TBD) + open conversation about scholcomm at CUNY and beyond. (Nancy and I agreed we wanted to leave space for us to converse as colleagues, about whatever topics, issues, or problems we feel we need to talk about.)
    • Late spring: Co-hosting (with the OLS Copyright Committee) an event about using public domain works. (This opportunity came to us after our meeting earlier this month, and we thought it was too good to pass up.)
    • Next fall: We’d like to begin planning this spring for a fall 2020 event about research metrics. It seemed like there was a lot of interest in this idea, so we’d like to pursue it and not give it short shrift in terms of planning time and attention.

Next step: choosing a date for December! The first week of December seems bad, since that’s the week of both the CUNY IT Conference and the ACRL/NY Symposium. So I made a Doodle poll with dates in the second and third weeks. LACUNY meetings often happen at 2-4 or 3-5, so I thought I’d split the difference and suggest 2:30-4:30 time slots (leaving a little more time to get from your campus to the meeting, while still wrapping up a bit before rush hour). There’s just one day for which I gave 2-4 because of a conflict in my schedule.

Please complete the Doodle poll by November 6:
    https://doodle.com/poll/frqiypfkrwud6e9q

Thanks,
    Jill (and Nancy)

#80515

Hi ScholComm Roundtablers,

Just a friendly reminder to complete this Doodle poll to vote on a date for our December meeting: https://doodle.com/poll/frqiypfkrwud6e9q

As a reminder, the December meeting will have two parts: 1) “article club,” in which we discuss a couple of articles, likely having to do with standardized identifiers; and 2) informal knowledge-sharing presentations about standardized identifiers such as DOI, ORCID, ROR, or even ISSN. We’ll aim for each part to last about an hour.

Thanks!
    Jill