LACUNY Scholarly Communications Roundtable

Group logo of LACUNY Scholarly Communications Roundtable

New (and improved!) federal public access policy announced

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Whoa! Big news for public access to federally funded research! The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy just released a memo saying that the results of taxpayer-funded research should be publicly accessible immediately, doing away with the 12-month embargo permissible in the existing policies from NIH, etc. The memo calls for agencies to have the updated policy fully in effect by December 31, 2025.

Here’s the press release about the memo. And here’s the full memo (longer, and I admit I haven’t read the whole thing yet).

Of course, the commercial publishers are probably already preparing some counter-move, but it seems like this is a really huge win for green, fee-free public access!

Beth Evans
    Participant

Fantastic news, Jill. Thanks for sharing.

Beth

Nancy Foasberg
    Participant

Wow! This seems really great. I’m still reading through all this. I’m very curious about the reference to “agency-designated repositories” — I assume that means PubMed for a start, but I wonder what it means for other disciplines.

(And I’m assuming everyone saw Meg’s CULIBS post about the SPARC meeting, right? I have a couple other things going on at that time, but I’ll attend as much as I can.)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.