Internet Research Team

Public Group active 3 months, 1 week ago

Preferred software package for analyzing qualitative data?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #18403
    Anders Wallace
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    I am thinking about how to analyze and manage qualitative data for my dissertation research, and I wondered if there is a particular software package that you would recommend? Two that I hear commonly are Atlas.ti and NVivo, but I also read promising things about MAXQDA. Does anyone have positive or negative experiences either way?
    My research is on contemporary “seduction societies” in NYC, which are groups of men led by “pickup artists” that train these men in particular styles of gender embodiment and performance–masculinity, charm, and seduction through speech and body language–that are produced and consumed, they believe, to attract women. So, my research deals with textual production, interviews, participant observation (including video-recording) of seminars and human interaction, and online forums.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,
    Anders (anders.a.wallace@gmail.com)

#32202
    evan misshula
    Participant

Sorry, I did not see this earlier. You should use RQDA which allows you to do everything that MAXQDA does but also stores the tags in a sqlite database. You can then run Structured Query Language (SQL) against it to extract quantative measures. This will give your research the feel of mixed methods paper which is sure to impress your advisor, EO and future employers (lol). If you have any more specific questions, post here and I will respond. Good luck!!