Informal Skills Bartering (Give2Get)

Public Group active 6 years, 5 months ago

Informal Skills Bartering (Give2Get)

Group logo of Informal Skills Bartering (Give2Get)

Announcement by davidstolarz on 12/15/11

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    davidstolarz

I have had some fun sharing my GIS skills with friends and acquaintances; I think it could be considered collaboration. And I’ve needed some help with web page editing and design, but am not the type of person to ask for help. So I decided that what was needed for people like me was a communication option where people can post their offer of time utilizing their skill (give) and earn credits toward getting a service from someone else (get). First post:

I am offering two hours of GIS service, and am looking for two hours of web database design for developing a tracking method for managing skills-bartering on the Commons.

Vision Principle 1 – I think there needs to be a difference between hours spent providing a simple service, such as proofreading, as compared to hours spent video editing.

Vision Principle 2 – Give2Get is not about getting your classwork done for you, but showing you how things work, or providing a service that enhances your work through direction, analysis, design, etc. to open new doors of possibility.

Vision Principle 3 – It should involve fun for both parties, based upon mutual respect and appropriate behavior (does that need to be said? Maybe it’s the lawyer in me that thinks so). Basically, don’t barter things not related to academic pursuits, always keep safe in a protected place, and post happy thoughts about how great this worked for you, if it works great for you (rating participants? Maybe I need to barter more hours for that tracking system!).

Thanks for looking and spreading the word to help make this site work.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.