GC Humanidades Digitales

Public Group active 1 week, 1 day ago

Fall 2018 updates and meet soon?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #66105
    Kelsey Chatlosh
    Participant

Hi all,

I hope everyone has had a restful and productive summer.

I wanted to let folks know that I recently added Professor Andrea Davis to the group, who is a professor of of Modern European and Digital History at Arkansas State University, and currently working on a digital oral history project in Spanish (using OHMS) on the Spanish Civil War. We met while she was a participant in the GC Digital Initiatives’ Digital Humanities Research Institute (DHRI) this past June. I’ll let her introduce herself though if she’d like to add more 🙂

Now that the semester is back up and running, I wanted to reach out and see if folks would be interested in having another meeting sometime soon? Maybe during the week of September 17th or 24th? Please comment here if you’d like to join and some days that are generally good for you. Then I can make a doodle poll to set an exact time that hopefully works for everyone or most of those interested to meet.

As for the general purpose of the meeting: The Digital Fellows (including myself!) are interested to hear what sorts of events and workshops this group may be interested in that we could try to organize, and to touch base on projects, opportunities, and advice in regards to doing DH work in Spanish. Also, I was able to attend the Digital Humanities 2018 conference in Mexico City and came across some really interesting DH work by folks based in Argentina and Mexico, which I’d love to share/discuss.

I am writing now to also draw attention to some opportunities on the horizon for this semester:

• In the next few weeks, GC Digital Initiatives will announce a call for applications for the Provost’s Digital Innovation Grants (PDiG), which usually range from about $1000-$6000 for training, start-up, and implementation grants — note that these are only available to GC PhD students.
    • This year’s CUNY Digital Humanities Initiative (DHI) lightning talks event is (tentatively) set for November 13th, and there will be a call for lightning talks in October. The event will be a great place to network among other DH-oriented folks who are based at CUNY.
    • In November we will be sending out a call for applications for the GC Digital Research Institute (DRI), set to occur in January (tentatively January 22-25, 2019), which is open to all GC students, faculty, and staff. The institute is a week-long intensive training course where participants learn core digital research skills (including the command line, git, python, databases, and mapping) while connecting with peers in an interdisciplinary environment.

Lastly, just in case anyone here hasn’t yet checked it out, Silvia Cho and Stephen Zweibel of the GC Library, with some help from myself and fellow Digital Fellow Javier Otero Peña, created a library guide to Humanidades Digitales. We will continue to update it too, and let any of us know if you think of things to add.

Be in touch!

Muchos saludos,

Kelsey

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)