ePortfolios

Public Group active 4 years, 8 months ago

BCC\’s Project as of 3-09

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Howard Wach
    Participant

Steve alluded to the BCC pilot with Digication, in which he is a key participant. We’re about 1/2 way through the first semester, with about 250 student portfolios created. Some students have absolutely run with the Digication platform and are doing wonderfully creative things. Some faculty have begun to create ways to integrate e-portfolio activities into their courses in a fairly structured way (these are the instructors we are working with formally). Some administrative issues/problems have begun to define themselves, primarily around administrative access and monitoring authentication problems. Portfolio functionality with Digication is pretty straightforward and intuitive for users, but the assessment “back end” is not–it’s a work in progress, as Steve indicated–and we are in effect providing Digication with the beta-testing they need. That’s fine, because our perspective on the project is portfolio-centered–we are first and foremost trying to create a “culture of use” among our students and a level of comfort among our faculty. Assessment is a necessity for a variety of reasons, and we will get to it in time. We think Digication will be a good platform for it too, eventually. So that’s a kind of first installment of “where we are”. Our next faculty development session is April 24–the feedback we get, and the resource- and idea-sharing faculty are able to do–make those days pretty important. More to come…

Michael J. Cripps
    Participant

New to the group and to the Commons, so hi.

I saw BCC present with LAGCC and CUNY OnlineBA at the GenEd conference at Lehman. I would agree that what I mostly saw was evidence of a “culture of use” in the spotlighted students’ work. Nice. I was inspired to hear the breadth (and to see some of the depth) of usage just a few months into the project. As one who is trying to advance eportfolio on my campus, it was nice. I’d love to read an update from the April 24 meeting.

Howard Wach
    Participant

Hi Michael. Thanks for checking in. Our April 24 meeting was another good session with participating faculty–an opportunity to share experiences and ideas, and for us (Jordi and I) to plan with them our next steps. If you’d like to look at the publicly available BCC portfolios (some of them are not public), here’s the URL: https://bcc-cuny.digication.com/portfolio/directory.digi

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.