EAS 10600 #M Group D

Public Group active 3 years, 1 month ago

Lab 1: Introductions Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Francesca Lingo
    Participant

Welcome to EAS 106: Fundamentals of Earth System Science! 

Before we get started with the course it’s important to get to know the members of your lab group. You will create your post in the CUNY Academic Commons group to which you were invited by your lab instructor.

For your introductory post, please provide the following information:

1. Tell us your name, pronouns, and, if you have a nickname, let us know what you like to go by.
    2. Tell us what your major is, or what areas of study you are interested in pursuing.
    3. If you feel comfortable, tell us a little about where you are from and any hobbies that you enjoy.
    4. Tell us what you hope to get out of this class and how you hope it will help you in your future college courses.
    5. Share a photo or description of a geologic, hydrologic, or atmospheric feature, process, or environment that interests you. Tell us what you would like to learn about the topic you have chosen.

Once you have created your post, respond to at least two of your classmates in your group. See if there are others who have the same interests as you or who have posted something that you find interesting. Let’s all talk a little as we get started!

A word about Etiquette: 

When posting replies, please be considerate of your peers. The discussion is intended to promote a collaborative learning environment, so be careful of your tone and refrain from inappropriate language or personal attacks. You may challenge others if the intent is to facilitate growth, but do not demand, harass, or embarrass. Encourage others to develop and share their ideas.

This topic was also posted in: EAS 10600 #M Group B, EAS 10600 #M Group C, EAS 10600 #M Group E, EAS 10600 #M Group F, EAS 10600 #M Group A.
    Kevin Cardenas
    Participant

Hello my name is Kevin Cardenas, I am majoring in computer science and am also in the pre-engineering program at Queens College. I am interested in pursuing a career in environmental engineering. I am from Westchester county and I like to play video games and go hiking. I hope to learn more about the dynamics of the atmosphere and the many interactions it has with other parts of our planet. I am interested in carbon capture and finding new ways to reduce CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere. I am interested in learning more about how oceans and the atmosphere work together as a natural carbon capture mechanism.

Rajwinder Singh
    Participant
    1. I go by Rajwinder.
    2. My major is mechanical engineering; in pursuit of becoming an aerospace engineer though later on down the line.
    3. From Punjab, India and my hobbies are to play sports like basketball and watching anime.
    4. I hope to just get the credit while learning some interesting facts about the Earth.
    5. I guess Im intrigued by natural disasters like volcanic eruptions, hurricanes, and tornadoes. I would like to see how they occur and under what circumstances they occur.
    Diego Silva
    Participant

Hi, my name is Diego, I’m a Mechanical Engineering major interested in the car industry. I’m from Colombia and I dont know a lot about this course so im really curious about what we’ll learn.

Kevin Cardenas
    Participant

We’re from around the same area, I’m from Ecuador! Also, mechanical engineering was my second choice of engineering.

Diego Silva
    Participant

that’s cool dude, computer science is going to be huge in the future, im not smart enough to major in it tho.

My name is Luis, I’m pursuing a major in Earth and Atmospheric Science (Geology) but also another one in Petroleum Engineering at another school. My big wish or goal is working for one of the best oil and gas companies in the world like Schlumberger or Halliburton. I’m from Ecuador, a small country in South America but really beautiful. My expectation for this class is really high since this is the introductory course for the major, I really want to know more about earth science and how can I relate all of this knowledge with my other major, reduce contamination in the oil industry, etc.

Rajwinder Singh
    Participant

Oh wow, so do you dorm? Why did you environmental engineering? I hope this class helps you put you on the right path towards your major.

Kevin Cardenas
    Participant

When we have in person classes I live with one of my cousins in the Bronx. I chose environmental engineering because I hope to work against climate change.

1. My name is Rosiris but I go by Rose.
    2. I’m majoring in math and econ.
    3. I was born and raised in NYC but also spent a lot of my time in the Dominican Republic growing up. I enjoy running and going out to eat with friends. I also looove coffee 🙂
    4. I hope to complete my B.S. requirements to graduate and to learn about earth science at a high level.
    5. I’m interested in renewable energy — particularly water and solar. This class likely won’t go into the mechanics of that/ or technology behind it but I think an intro to earth science will help me understand renewable energy on a more scientific level.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kevin Cardenas
    Participant

Those are really cool majors. What school are you going to for petroleum engineering?

Rajwinder Singh
    Participant

Petroleum engineering is where the moneys at right now I can see why you’re pursuing, not saying you’re not passionate about it. I’m sure you are but its booming right now. Isn’t it tough on you to be going after two majors unless they’re intertwined in your studies.

Oh this was meant for Luis, I don’t know why it showed up separately.

Hey! Nice to meet you Rajwinder. I definitely agree with your point about getting credit while learning interesting facts about the earth. I feel that I never learned enough on the topic so I feel happy to have the time to study it now.

Diego Silva
    Participant

Hi, nice to meet you! I would like to learn more about the Oil and Gas industry but moreso from the business side of it — especially since that sector is evolving due to climate concerns. Very niche and cool interest.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.