EAS 106 – Section C3 – Spring 2021 – Group 8

Group logo of EAS 106 - Section C3 - Spring 2021 - Group 8

Owen Jiang – Lab 2: Forest Fire Runoff

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #108257

I followed my line of inquiry from the first introductory lab further by exploring the repercussions of forest fires. I wondered what the recovery process would entail and pondered what tremendous difficulties the respective government organizations must face. This prompted several questions. What are the consequences of rainfall on the existing forest fire debris? I believe that the rain will cause runoffs which will unfortunately affect other ecological systems.

For example, how are forest fire runoffs being properly addressed to avoid contamination of invaluable water resources?

Additional observations which will serve helpful are that the methods of water treatment can be refined or perhaps redirecting the debris runoff can serve to be effective. Utilizing either option or both will do well to improve the already damaged system from forest fires.

According to https://e360.yale.edu/features/how-wildfires-are-polluting-rivers-and-threatening-water-supplies, “… the intensity and frequency of forest fires, and the extreme precipitation…those are the events that can cause severe flooding, extreme sedimentation, and the liberation of undesirable chemicals.”

Since there are so many problems occurring at the same time I believe that more than one method is necessary to address the underlying issues.

As previously mentioned in observations, rather than utilizing either option, both options will do more to reduce water contamination. However, just those two options aren’t enough to salvage a suffering ecosystem.

I believe in conjunction to refinement of water filtration treatment and runoff redirection, extinguishing forest fires efficiently will reduce large amounts of debris.

Research Question: How are rainfall runoffs after forest fires handled properly to avoid water resource contamination?

Observation: Either address water filtration treatment is one approach, or redirecting the runoff to a designated area for removal. However, these two observations maybe too simple for a rather complex issue.

Hypothesis: Refinements in water filtration treatment, runoff protection, redirection, and removal, along with better containment of forest fires themselves will minimize water contamination.

Hypothesis Testing: While these three goals are very difficult, I believe with proper management and timing, reducing water contamination is definitely possible. Perhaps creating additional aqueducts to avoid contaminations of streams flowing into larger bodies of water. Moreover, understand the prerequisite conditions of forest fires, and preemptively planning and expecting their origin point. Additional analysis into the composition of the large amounts of sediment is necessary to find a method to have consumable water. Analysis of the chemicals released into the environment will also shed light on the contamination processes.

Results + Conclusions: Through these three proposed methods working in conjunction, I believe that there will be hopeful results to combat water contamination from precipitation runoff. In order of importance however is understanding and extinguishing forest fires as efficiently as possible, then isolating stream flows from inevitable runoff, and water filtration methods as a final means of defense.

#108461
    Nitay Eshed
    Participant

Hi Owen,

I really like how you further pursued your chief topic of interest and considered deeper questions about it. I agree that the issue of fires is critical to solve from the roots as its not enough to just put them out.

I definitely found it prudent and good that you recognized that there are a lot of variables related to the problem at hand and adjusted/planned your experiment accordingly; indeed merely the acknowledgement, as you make, that the issue is more complex than presented makes for a more trustworthy study as it opens the possibility that you are right about your variables but others influence it too, which is greatly helpful to other labs who want to crosscheck your work and may do so with the focus on a different set of variables.

In terms of your experiment I think it’s well done because the sediment in water and the chemical composition of it is a strong indicator to what it is and where it may be from, i.e a fire.

This makes me consider that another benefit of using isolated streams to preserve the purity of as much water as possible also makes it easier to locate the origin of sediments which appear in only a few samples, thus making getting to the core of the problem even simpler.

This was a very interesting read, thank you.
    Nitay