Digital Humanities Initiative

Public Group active 6 days, 22 hours ago

Does your research entail NYPL’s research collections?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Does your research entail NYPL’s research collections? If so, this event on Monday, September 16 (6-8pm) is for you:

Meet the Curators: An Introduction to NYPL’s Research Collections and Services

Please join Victoria Steele, Director of Collections Strategy at the New York Public Library, and curators and librarians from NYPL’s general and special collections at the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the Library for the Performing Arts, and the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, for a discussion of collections and services available to students, faculty, and staff of the CUNY Graduate Center.

Monday, September 16th, 2013
    6:00 to 8:00pm
    Skylight Room, 9th floor
    Graduate Center
    RSVP to aballmer@gc.cuny.edu

Sponsored by The Graduate Center Library

Lindsey Roth-Rosen
    Participant

I am in class at that time…..anyway to reply via youtube or other media. Will this program be repeated?

Lindsey

Amy Ballmer

Hi Lindsey,

The event will be recorded and live streamed, I assume the video will be available for viewing after the event as well. I’ll be sure to post the url to the library homepage as well as this site.

thanks for your interest!
    Amy

Bob Kosovsky
    Participant

The bottom line is that NYPL wants CUNY students (all of CUNY, not just GC) to think of NYPL as their local library. I think most of the NYPL curators think of this as a presentation/ networking event. The point is to establish personal connections with divisions that you’ll want to use. Whether you can attend the event or not should not matter. If you can’t attend, send an email to the divisions that interest you and set up an appointment to understand what they have and how they can help you. NYPL is a big institution; unlike the circulating library, many things in the research library are not self-evident (and many thousands of things are not even cataloged).

Learning how to build a relationship with a library and library staff is an essential research skill: Here’s your opportunity to start working on it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.