CUNY Technology Group

Public Group active 3 days, 9 hours ago

Wanted: community college math faculty interested in learning through gaming

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #12862

Hi, all!

I’m writing an NSF grant to research using games (computer and otherwise) in developmental math classes. Much of the grant writing work is done (yippee!) and we found a company with a really terrific set of math games we can use. I think we could use a couple more math people willing to sign on as co-PIs — because right now, we have a computer science person, and an English prof. (both gaming experts), and me, the one math prof.

Please post here if you are interested, and pass the word along to your colleagues! You can also email me.

Kathleen Offenholley, math prof., BMCC

#19293
    maxtran
    Member

Hi Kathleen,

Please sign up me! I am definitely interested in finding ways to make developmental math more enjoyable.  I teach both computer science and math at Kingsborough, but find teaching developemntal algebra a real challenge when teaching students who does not want to learn.

best wishes,

Max Tran 

#19294

Hi, Max,

I’m so glad you’re interested! Do you teach the prealgebra, too? I think I’m going to start with games for that course, because it’s in even worse shape than developmental algebra. 🙂

Kathleen

#19295
    maxtran
    Member

Hi Kathleen,

Fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be, I have not teach prealgebra. I do agree with you that it needs more attention at the moment.

Max