Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Public Group active 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Group logo of Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Module 2 – Lehman

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #139311

Background

• The National Equity Project has given us permission to “remix” their Liberatory Design Mindsets resource with their Creative Commons license.

Task

To complete this task:

• Either download the PowerPoint slides attached to this forum post OR make a copy of this Google Slides presentation.
    • Remix the activity on Slide 3. You can add more slides if you need.

To Share:

• Attach your PowerPoint, or link your Google slides to your discussion forum post when you’re done. If you go the Google Slides route, make sure permissions allow anyone to view your work.
    • Add a brief reflection on your process and what you hoped you accomplished with the activity.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #140017
    Anonymous
    Inactive

While doing this activities, I kept reflecting on the conversations we had in my class about issues in bilingualism and special education. I remember so well that one student said that there is no happy teacher which stroke me and made me wonder what teacher education programs should provide to best prepare teacher candidates for the hard job in such a hard time. That’s why I chose “healing” as one mindset to focus on.

Attachments:
    #140211

I have chosen the Exercise Creative Courage, Embrace Complexity, and Seek Liberatory Collaboration mindsets in my remix. I’m interested in exploring how to facilitate creative work so that the process is scaffolded for those who wish to have support, how to encourage equitable collaboration, and thoughtful decision making. I’m also interested in seeing how this can apply to my work as a librarian to support literacy, resource exploration, critical thinking, and resource development.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zyT2V3Ed1nuVluDxaM_FAEFro8QoE0f_wleOQsobFGs/edit?usp=sharing

#140219
    Jayra
    Member

I remixed this using a practice I use with my elementary students to create a class charter. We set intentions by thinking of how we want to feel and then thinking of the actions that will help us meet these goals and uphold them throughout the semester. It is always unique to the groups desires and needs.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1454hOlhm1FfCXnazqeLayiGc4YkrXI29YgC44wbcg9A/edit?usp=sharing

#140254

I focused my remix on Building Relational Trust through an opening activity in which participants share personal difficulties from their schooling experiences. I am envisioning this activity as one for adult learners, in particular pre-service or early-service teachers.

Attachments:
    #140274

For my remix I chose to “focus on human values” mindset. The math class is too often a place of procedures, and drills. It does not allow for mathematical discourse and exploring different ideas or pathways to solutions. I hope that rehumanizing the math classroom will make room for knowledge that others bring into the mix. It provides the space to make connections and build understanding of math and of one another.

Attachments:
    #140470

I reviewed the examples and focused on the mindset which stood out for me; self-awareness. Self-awareness is always the first step in interrogating biases. I focused my example on self-awareness as a preamble to working through the remaining mindsets.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/18y7lhaFlBpDbGJiAe9mFjZFXqJohAU6tJNsWCc4N2Eo/edit?usp=sharing

#140633

I remixed the directions of this activity to allow for multiple iterations of conversation around what is important in collaborative situations and why.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1jH40xYv0IHEJVSq8ZpWNUB4e-Hqz22T4KbvyY_r8YU8/edit?usp=sharing

#140884

As I remixed the activity, the two mindsets I kept in mind were practice self-awareness and build relational trust. I re-envisioned the activity for a teacher to complete their class at the start of the school where as class they determine the norms, expectations and intentions of the classroom for the year. This activity encourages teachers to trust and empower their students to be active participants and facilitators of their own learning and behavior.

Naliza’s Remix the NEPs Activity

#141014

I incorporate art, or graphic representation, in all courses I teach, whether or not they directly relate to art. In a general foundations of education class, for instance, I use ‘art’ to help students organize and see their thinking in concrete form. Art is all about embracing complexity, and a place of safety for me, and, hopefully can become, for my education students as well.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kcGGJtMkKigoR36NJ1Sb-xi61b3xRPBF/edit#slide=id.p3

#141770

Hi Friends!

I am so sorry to be responding so late! I actually went through this module, and then used the prompts in my June session summer course. I actually did remix this task, and I had my students complete it so I could see how it turned out. I assigned this assignment before class started and then opened with a discussion of our values, I also included some student responses as well: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1L3rneOdTw29MrBCYIFg0tlr2bjI5NAlueW2LqCMs1Bk/edit?usp=sharing

The students were all really into the assignment and the follow up discussion. I think that if I was to edit this assignment I would change it to allow students to add their own values, instead of limiting them to only these. I think I also would have created a little chart or slide that included all of our top chosen values, so we can see how we feel as a community.

I would be really happy to talk about this with some of my peers!

Thanks for listening!

~Meagan

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.