Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Group logo of Computing Integrated Teacher Education (CITE) @ CUNY

Module 1 – City College

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Reply to this post with a response to the prompts below by the module due date.

• Introduce yourself with your name, college, role(s)
    • Share the rationale cards you kept in your hand all the way to the end of the game. Why did you keep these to the end? Why did you discard particular cards?
    • What connections can you make between the values you reviewed and the examples from people’s digital lives?
    • How did you interact with the game? What worked / didn’t work about our game prototype? Did you follow the rules as written? Did you “tinker” with the algorithm (rules) of the game? If so, how?
    Megan Blumenreich
    Participant

Intro: I’m Megan Blumenreich (she, her) from CCNY, professor in Childhood Education and Program Director.

Share the rationale cards: 

5. we need to level the playing field and help close the “digital divide” for young people who attend lower-resourced schools.

8. teachers and students  can use new media  and computing as a tool for voice, participation, activists and critique related to causes they care about.

15. because when teachers can “get under the hood” of tools and technologies, they can better use and adapt them to fit their needs and those of their learners.

24. teachers needs to be able to support students to navigate online– life how they “show up” in digital environments, navigate online relationships, and maintain healthy digital habits.

33. data practices like collection, analysis and visualization can help teachers and students understand phenomena , conduct inquiries, share findings.

I selected many of these cards because they emphasize teaching teachers and young students how to be knowledgable consumers of technology and to have some autonomy and agency with the tools they select to use.

What connections can you make:  

I think that the CITE program for a community like CUNY is very important to level the playing field and bring in innovative, motivating learner in lower-resourced schools through our teacher education graduates.

Using technology as an opportunity to participate in and critique causes, to share their voices, is certainly learner directed and has educational value.  I selected the card about collecting data, analyzing and visualizing phenomena because these tools can help to create a clear and persuasive argument when supporting change.

How did you interact with the game:

There were many cards I wanted to select and it was challenging to pick just five.  I followed the rules and it was hard to compare so many ideas.  However, it was effective in getting me to read the benefits carefully and really think about them.

Leonard Lewis
    Participant

Intro: I am Leonard Lewis, the Director of Learning & Technology Resource Center in the School of Education at The City College.

Rationale cards: The cards I selected were:

13. Technology is changing the nature of schooling. Teachers need to have knowledge and skills to navigate digital and computational tools and literacies.

25. It is important for teachers and students to know how to build a learning community in digital environments.

35. Computing and digital tools and literacies can help teachers build on and sustain the cultural, linguistic and other practices of students and their communities.

36. It can help teachers learn how to build on students’ tech lives, interests, communities, and language practices to design and adapt curriculum.

42. Teachers can learn to find, use and create open educational resources that will be more accessible to them and their students.

Today’s teachers candidates need to be comfortable navigating the newer technologies and understand how those technologies impact the lives and learning of children. The selections I made will help me focus on aspects of the CITE program that would develop the technological skills set to help create the environment for this development.

Making the 5 selections underwent several changes. I eventually decided on making my selection based on several categories or groups I could identify. The final 5 represented at least one from each of those categories. The overflow group ultimately comprised of those selections I believe I would select at the second level of preparation in technology skills set.

• Introduce yourself Dina López, Associate Professor in Bilingual Education and TESOL
    • Share the rationale cards you kept in your hand all the way to the end:
      • #7: computing and digital tools and literacies can help teachers build on and sustain the cultural, linguistic and other practices of students and their communities.
      • #30: students will need to be literate in new ways, and be able to communicate in multiple modalities, contexts, and through many different expressive forms
      • #35: computing and digital tools and literacies can help teachers build on and sustain the cultural, linguistic and other practices of students and their communities.
      • #43: it will help teachers usher in more project and inquiry-based learning approaches that can enhance school pedagogy and move away from sage on the stage approaches.
      • #46: it will help teachers better advocate for their learners, for equity, and their own professional interests.
      • I selected these cards because they seemed to be broader and more encompassing principles around using technology in equitable, creative, critical, and linguistically and culturally sustaining ways.
    • What connections can you make 
      • There are so many connections to be made between the values and the critical role that technology plays in the lives of children, youth, and educators. I think developing digital literacies involves being critical consumers and creative producers of technology and using these tools for learning, problem-solving, personal/cultural expression, advocacy, and social change.
    • How did you interact with the game?
      • I pretty much followed the rules of the game and though many of the cards resonated with me, I was able to mentally categorize it within one of the cards that I was holding. I found myself drawn to values that were more about pedagogy and the social and cultural dimensions of technology rather than those that were focused on the tech itself.

Intro: Robin Glassberg Adjunct, SPED/TESOL/Bilingual education, and NYU Steinhardt Ph.D. Fellow (student).

Rationale Cards I had left in my hand:

#2. – this work is already diversifying the tech industry pipeline by working with educators and teachers. This work directly impacts students who may never have thought of different ways technology can provide opportunities. In addition to the 4th wave of the technology revolution, things will be getting much more technological in all aspects of society.

#5.-This speaks specifically to the teachers I train and the schools I observe them in. Again, the theme of helping teachers integrate computing and digital literacy into their classrooms will create a space where they are shown resources beyond traditional computing.

#22- I think that understanding “learners’ digital lives” can help teachers meet all students’ needs better and differentiate to allow for understanding the multifaceted computing and digital literacy. 

#25-Building a learning community in digital environments is an essential part of being able to talk about what they notice – what they are doing – how they are thinking- what makes it different. Community allows for conversation where there will be a place for students to take risks, which is essential when creating in a digital environment.

#31: Computing requires enormous reading and high-level critical thinking. This helps students learn to think about the text in other classes and analyze it more.

The values I have connected with and the connection to people’s digital lives is that it is an essential skill for the future. It is crucial for everyone today, but as we become increasingly more advanced and technological, we will need more potent computing and digital literacy skills.

I enjoyed the game, and before I even started, I read all the cards. I think I “tinkered .”I also sorted out the cards that I did not feel were aligned with me but not my core values. I enjoyed it, and it is a great discussion tool. I could use this with my teachers.

Hi everyone,

I’m Chanda Huston..adjunct at CCNY Early Education AND Director of Early Childhood Program on CCNY Campus

Share the rationale cards:

#22: teachers can better understand their leaners and the contexts for their learning if they understand learners’ digital lives

#23 It is important for teachers and students to understand dynamics around privacy and security in digital environments

#36 it can help teachers learn how to build on students’ lives, interests, communities and language practices to design and adapt curriculum

#41 data practices like collection, analysis and visualization support teachers with learning about learners and communities, assessment, planning and reflection

#42 teachers can learn to find, use and create open educational resources that will be more accessible to them and their students

What connections can you make:

Seems to me simple connections not only to teacher education but a parallel to how we develop and design learning environments for even the youngest of children. Being abl to fully utilized the technology to assist in understanding the contexts of the learners would only help teachers to push higher standards.

How did you interact with the game?

I followed the rules. Many of the cards were quite provocative and allowed to to see the importance of CITE from differing perspectives not thought of.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.