Registering for Classes: Here’s What to Know!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #139406
    Jessie Daniels
    Participant

For new and continuing students in the program, below is what you need to know to register for summer and fall, 2023 classes

Here’s what’s offered in our program this summer:

• Internship* (GSR 718) Daniels
    • Combatting the Far Right* (GSR 791) Daniels

Here’s what’s offered in our program this fall:

Required courses: 

• Monday, 5:35pm-7:25pm, Thinking Critically in a Digital Society (GSR 701), DeGloma
    • Tuesday, 5:35pm-7:25pm, Qualitative Digital Research Methods, (GSR 710), (new hire)
    • Thursday, 5:35pm-7:25pm, Statistic I, (GSR 708), Li

Elective courses: 

• Wednesday, 5:35pm-7:25pm*, Combatting the Far Right (GSR 79027), Daniels
    • Wednesday, 7:35pm-9:25pm*, Professional Presentation Skills (GSR 79026), Igunbor

Additional electives: You can take additional elective courses (700-level or above) in any other department within Hunter College, or at any other campus across CUNY. Most often, students in our program who have taken outside electives do so at The Graduate Center. Unfortunately, there is no institutionally-provided way to search easily for classes, except to go through CUNY First and do a search for classes by campus. Then, you would use an ePermit, which is explained here.

The process to register each semester is a bit cumbersome, and it is as follows: each semester you will need to reach out to me via email, include your unique student identifier (EMPL ID), indicate which courses you want to take. Then, I have to go into CUNYFirst and click the permissions for each class so you can register for them. (I’m working with the administration to streamline this process so you don’t need me to click things for you, but that will take some time.) There’s never any need to worry about registration, as these classes do not fill so there is not a chance that you will be “locked out” of a class. Sometimes I’m slow to get to the “clicking on things” part, and I like to respond to these requests in a batch, so if there is a delay, again please be patient.

To find out about more info your classes once you’ve registered: Typically, professors will post information about their courses, including required books and a syllabus on Blackboard in the weeks just before classes start. This is true for all modes of instruction. Some professors will use a different learning management system (LMS) other than Blackboard, but there will usually be at least one announcement on Blackboard re-directing you to the other LMS where the course site is hosted. (This is often the case for my course and perhaps others.) If it gets to close to the date when your class is scheduled to being and you haven’t heard anything via Blackboard (or other course site), then email the professor directly. If you don’t get a response, then email me.

The mode of instruction. Hunter College has a strong committment to in-person instruction and most of our classes are offered that way. The courses listed above with an asterisk (*) will be offered online or hybrid.

If you’re in your first semester, you should take the three core courses (Stats, Methods, Theory). And, if you feel you have the capacity, you can take a fourth elective class. I would highly recommend Professor Igunbor’s “Professional Presentation Skills,” as a worthwhile elective that will be helpful for you no matter where you see yourself going with your career.

Good Academic Standing. Each student must maintain a grade of B or better in all courses in order to continue in the program and advance to the next semester in the program.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)