The Suburban Jungle

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

Mornings begin the same everyday since this little furball has come into my life. Over the summer a friend of mine sent a photo to our sister girl group chat of the most adorable puppy ever. Now I’m not a dog lover, cats are my jam, but this little nugget was too cute to pass up. So, I am now a dog mom of a boy yorkiepoo we named Apollo. My morning routine which always began at 5am, has incorporated wet kisses on my face thanks to Apollo, pouncing all over me until I get up, dragging myself downstairs to get his breakfast prepared. While he inhales I shower, throw on sweats and around 6:15 out the door we go for a 20minute walk through the neighborhood. Apollo and I are immediately greeted by a menagerie of chirping birds that I can’t see because of the cluster of trees that line my street. I can only imagine what they look like, their sounds scream exotic Amazon Jungle birds of multiple varieties, yet they are normal city birds, small and brown.

Every 6.5 minutes the air is disturbed by airplanes heading to JFK, which is 10 minutes from my house. If I ever forget that I am not on safari, the airplanes overhead remind me. The sun is peaking at this point, which is nice. I snap some pictures on my phone, the colors of orange and purple are simple breathtaking. This visual scene dancing together with the birds has me completely mesmerized, transported even to that place that is unknown to me. I’m shaken out of this trance by the jingle of Apollos collar and him pulling against his leash. I noticed he’s yet again managed to snatch up trash in his mouth which I quickly proceed to dig out aggressively prying his mouth open. Not his favorite, he’s been caught and he gives me a look of displeasure that I won’t let him eat garbage. Distractions aside, I cannot walk quietly and enjoy the chorus of birds. Keeping an eye on him takes precedence.