Self-Assessment Essay

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

Self Assessment Essay

We live in a world where attitudes towards linguistic standards both empower and degrade people, this can be seen in settings, like school, the workplace, and even outside. A real-life example that can be given is when an individual is praised for their seemingly “Perfect” English and these individuals are given respect and recognition; while other individuals whose English isn’t up to “standard expectations” are looked down upon, disrespected, and not taken seriously by the society. I too have been in situations where I was bullied and mocked by my elementary school peers for not speaking proper English, how weird my pronunciations of certain words were, and how my accent was very odd and uncanny.

Another example that can be given regarding this issue can be seen repeatedly in the Author Amy tan’s book: “Mother tongue” where she talks about the things she had witnessed regarding the English Language, and how growing up she had always been embarrassed about her mothers English because of how society had made her believe that standard English was far better and more superior to other variants of English especially broken English, Amy tan also talks about how people had never taken her mother seriously because of her English, and how when they would visit restaurants, servers would avoid her, ignore and pretend not to know what she was saying, but the tables turned when she was

ordering, she was adequately Attended to, taken care of, and received good customer service all because she spoke a far better  English than her mother. So to summarize, it can be clearly seen how this Societal norm is very unfair, twisted, and unacceptable because, despite whatever variant of English one may speak, they should be treated equally and not marginalized because in the end in many cases language does not determine who you are, your mindset and performance is what determines who you are.

In class, we had a lesson regarding exploring and Analyzing things regarding writing and reading. I remember we had an assignment where we had to write a rhetorical l analysis regarding former prompts we had read, we used rhetorical strategies like ethos, logos, and pathos. Another Assignment we had was to write a prompt based on the rhetorical strategies we had learned, I remember it being a bit of a struggle personally for me because even though I had an idea of what I wanted to write about; I was a bit confused on how to start or execute my idea into a prompt, After a few class sessions where we had Activities where we gave feedbacks to our peers, as well as receiving feedback from our professor, I was able to collectively get all my ideas intact; And for the rhetorical Essay I had written a figurative prompt about the meaning of rain, and with the use of Ethos I strongly feel that I was able to get my point through, I wrote the meaning of rain through a collective amount of memories, both euphoric and dystopian. I wrote about how peaceful rainy days were and how they brought out the inner me, I also tied it to a religious perspective where rain is seen as a blessing and an answer to All your prayers. I have also spoken about how the rain was like a sonata and how it brought peace of mind and ease, I talked about how the rain was a sense of nostalgia for me and how it makes me remember All the fun times I had with my family back in ghana, and how anytime it was raining when I would get back from school I would run into the rain and soak myself in it.  And to me that was what rain meant, to me, it carried so much history in my life.

During the repetition of constantly reviewing, collaborating, and receiving feedback I can say that is; these factors really helped me as a student in school because I was able to benefit from my peers and vice versa,  These also helped me develop strategies for reading, drafting, collaborating and editing. I learned how to receive Academic Critiques in a positive light, and I also learned that asking for help will only benefit you in the long run. Aside from this I also found that a strategy that would be helpful for me in the long run regarding writing situations would be ethos and logos because in my personal opinion I strongly believe that writing without these two would make it incomplete. Because without emotion you cannot captivate your audience/ reader and also without logic and reasoning the work that you provide and set forward will not make sense. And will therefore make your work invalid.

To captivate audiences, I agree that understanding the use of print and digital technologies to address a range of Audiences will make you more successful in trying to get your point through, for example for my phase 4 assignment I wrote an essay regarding diaspora wars and the state of African languages in South Africa, and I feel that without digital technologies to address my audiences, even though my work will be good. I would not receive as many audiences as I would like or hope to read my work. And also without the technology, I would not be able to put forward valid work that would captivate my readers/ Audiences. For my Essay phase 4 essay I used an Essay from a south African thesis named; “In search of the absent voice: The status of indigenous languages in post-apartheid South Africa. Written by Sethu cakata who is a doctor of psychology at the University of South Africa. This source is valid because it was sourced .through the google scholar website. It was also checked for valid credentials and whatnot. But what can make a source invalid would be an Article that doesn’t seemingly have any proper or valid credentials.

For the seventh question, it asks to compose texts that integrate a stance with appropriate sources, using strategies such as summary, analysis, synthesis, and argumentation.

These may include a topic that discussed how 12 grade is not necessary, this topic encompasses Argumentation, Analysis, and the above. 

Some people may say that 12 grade should be skipped and basically, students should be able to leave high school in the 3rd year of high school, because it is the most important year in high school, and it is also claimed that senior/ 12 graders view the last year to slack of and play because its the end of high school for them. Whilst others may argue that senior year is a time you would never be able to get back, it can also be seen that during this time period people would neglect and throw Aside their studies because they do not find any significance to doing any work.

Systematic  Application of citation Conventions;

in search of the absent voice: The status of indigenous languages in post-apartheid South Africa by Zethu Cakata Submitted in accordance with the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology in the subject Psychology at the University of South Africa Promoter: Professor Puleng Segalo November 2015

“Language Policy and Oppression in South Africa.” Culturalsurvival.org, 2018, www.culturalsurvival.org/publications/cultural-survival-quarterly/language-policy-and-ooppression-south-Africa.