Personal Literacy Narritive

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

I practiced my handwriting and my writing quality for the first time in Kindergarten. Stressed out, I already struggled to make sentences understandable for everyone. Since I knew what the sentence meant, I was easily able to picture it. When I showed people what I wrote, people got confused as they read. It made me panic. Whenever people asked the most common question, “What does this mean?” I felt very uncomfortable about it. Using correct grammar was not the only difficulty I struggled with. Years went by and my writing skills was improved at addressing the writing task. However, my writing ideas were not appreciated. where it goes off topic and gets people irritated by having a big question mark on their heads. My word choices and syntax in my writing makes reactions worse. I felt trapped by what I needed to say. Syntax, semantics and ideas all together changed my personality and where educators influenced my way of writing so that I can do well on my assignments.

One of the main ways writing changed me over the next couple of years was my ability to use correct grammar in my sentences. Throughout the first grade, my teacher said to me many times that my sentences did not make any sense. “This is not a sentence. What up with your punctuation errors?! Huh?!” It felt creepy, since I didn’t know what sentences I was supposed to write in the first place. In addition, my concentration during class was terrible, which was why I did not know what to write about. At the same time, I simply wrote sentences out, just for the sake that I completed my homework. Each day, as I handed in homework to my teacher, I would feel relieved as my teacher applauded me for being responsible. Later, her comments on my homework gave me a moment of shame and disgrace. Question marks, x’s and corrections on my spelling filled my homework page. Feeling like I was on the bottom of the earth, I became anxious as to how I was being portrayed as a student. Another moment was when the class needed to do peer review. Personally, I felt nervous to show what I wrote. A story, a sentence or a narrative. Almost all of them gave me a roll of their eyes. I felt lost as never. Few peers told my teacher about it and she got upset. Believe it or not, this demonstrates how I was able to take my responsibilities on my behalf to complete assignments in order to make teachers be pleased with me. At this point in time, students at ages six and seven are taught on how to be responsible with regards to completing their homework and getting organized. Reluctantly, I met this expectation because I wanted to work on assignments as everyone else. Also, I advocated for myself whenever people misunderstood me to some extent. As a young writer, it was a turning point. Not because it was the beginning to adjust my difficulties, but where I worked on my own behalf to see better results.

The year is 2015, and I became a better writer because my expansion of ideas helped me to answer writing prompts in depth in order to become a better writer. Once I started high school, I vowed to succeed in writing activities noting that I need to address my quality of writing even though I met expectations to hand in assignments on time. However, once I adjusted my writing skills, I came up with expanded ideas that were not appreciated by teachers. All because I went off topic with what I needed to address in my writing. My tenth grade global teacher two and a half years ago commented, “Your writing gets very overcomplicated. Your thesis and evidence are lost. With regards to the rubric and the writing task, great effort.” In addition, with my ideas coming into mind inside my head, my mind has a hard time as to how I wanted to write it out in words. Grammar-wise issues became evident because the reader gets confused easily and then he or she would get the picture once it’s been read more than once. This proves that my alternative towards answering writing prompts became easier because in the end, I turned out to get good grades on my writing, particularly with the essay activities I’ve done for my classes. My syntax didn’t matter as much, as long if I follow the guidelines in addressing the writing task. It is known as playing by the rules of the game. The development of my ideas addressed my writing difficulty throughout the school years, largely to become a successful writer than most of my peers.

My grammar and quality of ideas came a long way as to where I make myself unique as a person. Whenever people seek for new alternatives in order to come up for solutions, I step in and give them an answer. Most of the time, people partially goes along with it, with few of them calling me smart. Another moment is where I step in to say something, and the person asks what do you mean? None of this would take place if it was not for my ability to know how to write so that I can become a great writer. It needed patience and I needed to stay attentive and listen, so I can do things correctly. When I was young, it was difficult to learn because I did not pay attention. Today, the problem was resolved because I followed along with my educators on how to become a great writer. It was essential to be a great writer back then. Today, I acknowledge that it is important to be a great writer to make the reader engaged based on what I discuss about.