Learning Standards for Teachers.

Learning Standards for Teachers.

I once read that, “Good lesson planning is essential to the process of teaching and learning. A teacher who is prepared is well on his/her way to a successful instructional experience. The development of interesting lessons takes a great deal of time and effort.”

Some challenges I foresee when planning a standards-based lesson is always remembering that one size does not fit all on assessments and instructions. The current testing system and the curriculum have left students behind who might not be doing their best academically. Using clever interesting techniques that will spark their curiosity will only help the student. Another challenge may be that while teaching global history there’s no self to world connection being developed, maybe this certain topic is not interesting to the student. In other words, when a student has no connection or interest in a subject it may be a challenge to deliver certain content to the student. Students may be “stuck” in one location all of their lives or they may have not have a chance to travel outside the city or even the country, resulting in the student having no interest in learning about other parts of the world. Another challenge would be there are so many standards to be met in such a short time and it may not be easy to prioritize. I can overcome this specific challenge by using my knowledge to focus on the important things for students to know and what they are able to do in a short period of time.

Some opportunities that I foresee when planning a standards-based lesson are group project/ work. It’s vital that students learn about others cultural and beliefs, there’s no better way about learning about others than interacting with students from different backgrounds. We live in such a diverse universe and sometimes we fail to acknowledge other people customs. Group work can build more connections between students resulting in students working as a team to complete a certain goal. Another opportunity that I foresee when planning a standards-based lesson is that I can always fix my lesson to accommodate my student’s needs. It’s important to create a lesson that students will connect with and expand their knowledge on. Lastly, Involving students in their own learning through active learning, there’s a better chance that they will comprehend the concept that is being taught. Providing opportunities for reciprocal learning and peer interaction is probably the most important opportunity that I foresee when planning a standards-based lesson. Get students involved in the process by giving choices of what and how they want to learn. I can use choice sheets to give students a little control. The more choices students make about how they will learn a concept, I have a better opportunity to ensure that my lesson will flow easily.

Including technology into my lesson will not only enhanced learning but it will also get the attention of my students. In today’s world students are always using technology, there’s no better way to captive their attention than using technology in a classroom. Technology effectively engages students and build their skills. If each of my students have smartphones and is always on it, why not use the situation to my advantage by delivering content through their phones?There are learning programs that students can access through tablets and smartphones. These are only a few wonderful benefits of technology integration in a classroom!

Discussion (0)

There are no comments for this doc yet.