Final Assessment

Access: LimitedShow Details
  • This Doc can be read by: Anyone
  • This Doc can be edited by: The Doc author only
  • Comments are visible to: Anyone
  • Comments can be posted by: Logged-in Users
  • History can be viewed by: Anyone
Hide Details

Throughout taking this course, I have learned a lot about myself, my writing style, and how I think of things in general. I decided to take this class because I needed it to graduate. I never realized how much I was going to change and learn. Walking into class, I remember the first assignment being how would you define the humanities and I honestly had no idea the humanities consisted of everything that was around you besides the math and science. I never realized it was more about growing as a person than it was just memorizing facts to pass an exam.

The first essay we wrote about was a literacy narrative. I wrote about how my interest for reading and writing started. In that essay I talked about how I appreciated the writing style in which the book was written in. However, I did not know what I personally liked to write about and definitely didn’t know what writing style I preferred. In this class, we got the chance to write several different genres which helped me realize I love to write about topics I am in curious in. For example, I wrote about female genital mutilation because although I had heard about the topic, I wanted to know more and really research the topic. It took me a while to choose how I wanted to write it. I choose to be more intellectual and include facts to prove my point than add my opinion about the topic. I felt it was important.

Not only did I finally understand my preferences in reading and writing but my horizons extended with the humanities. I was intrigued to know more about art. Because of this, I did take a few trips to art museums, such as the MET and the Museum of Moving Image. I even did group tours in where you sit down and really appreciate and analyze the art in front of you. Taking that tour really taught me about how much a work of art can say. It was astounding.

Last but very not least, humanities taught me to not take school so seriously. Obviously, an education is vital, but I would take my STEM courses really serious to the point that it was stressful. Humanities taught me to take a step back and really focus on myself, my interest, and my personal growth as a human being. I would take this class again in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone that needs it.