PUG – Python User’s Group

Public Group active 6 days, 23 hours ago

PUG – Python User’s Group

Group logo of PUG – Python User’s Group

Learning Python together – meetings temporarily cancelled (Updated in Mar 17th)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #79606

INTRO

Hey all,

We have been working together on the exercises of Learn Python the Hard Way. You can find the file for the book in the files section.

This is the topic where we will post updates and the dates of future meetings. If you have any questions or comments about a particular exercise, feel free to create a topic on the forum.

Each one is working in their own pace. Therefore, it doesn’t matter how many exercises you’ve done – maybe you are just starting – come and work with us.

#83090

Hey guys,

I would like to teach myself Python in order to do work on a couple of projects, one involving Twitter and another involving a newspaper archive. Thanks for uploading Learn Python the Hard Way. Have you found that this is a good place to start? I will be at the New Media Lab on Fridays working away at learning Python this semester. If anyone wants to meet up and go over exercises or something, I’d be game to do that on Fridays as well.

I’d love to know how you found LPtHW in any case. Please respond here or email me at alarsson@gradcenter.cuny.edu if you found it useful or if you can recommend other/better sources to get started and make progress in Python.

Thanks!

Alexis

#83179

Hi Anna!

Sorry for taking long to reply, we were all super busy with the Digital Institute that took place last week.

About Python the Hard Way: some people really like it, some people don’t. As any pedagogical tool, it will suit some, but not all. We just started using it as a group last semester, and I personally think it is working well. We are on a winter break now, but we will very soon come back, and it would be awesome to have you there with us. I will make sure to post the dates we will meet in the Spring.

Regarding other tools, there is today an overwhelming number of tools on the internet to learn python. I will be teaching an workshop on Intro to Python this semester, whose contents you can take a look here. Some of the resources we mention there you can see here. I will make sure to post the details (date/time) of the workshop in this forum soon.

Feel free to ask anything else you need.
    Best,

Rafa