GC Composition & Rhetoric Community (GCCRC)

Group logo of GC Composition & Rhetoric Community (GCCRC)

Masking Bee with Mark McBeth and 3Text 2/11 at 6:30

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #16109
    Amanda Licastro
    Participant

Hello GCCRC,

Welcome to a new year and a new semester. We hope you have had a productive first few weeks and are beginning to find your groove. The Graduate Center Composition and Rhetoric Group is starting off the semester with a “masking bee” (see note below) on Monday, Feb 11th, which is aimed at opening up questions of identity and performance in the classroom. Led by the always fabulous Mark McBeth and co-sponsored by 3Text, this meeting will help you prepare for Mardi Gras with some mask making, eating, drinking, and reflection. The event description and suggested readings have been provided by Mark below. As always, our meetings are held in 5409 from 6:30-8:30pm, and we ask you to RSVP to gc.comprhet@gmail.com so we can order enough refreshments!

Dear All:

Attached you will find readings for the Masking Bee that we will hold on Monday, 11 February from 6:30PM in 5409. The readings address issues of masquerade and its multiple relationships to identity as well as venues where performances of identities occur (drag & punk stages). I have also attached the CCCC Resolutions on “Students’ Rights to Their Own Languages.” At the heart of these resolutions is that identity shapes the way that we use language. I wonder if we haven’t got this idea the wrong way around or if we think about it too essentially and linearly. Doesn’t language help us shape what identity we would like to render on a particular day, in a particular situation, for a particular audience, with a particular outfit . . . .? Efrat Tseelon, Christie Davies, and Jose Esteban Munoz (attached) will offer us a point of departure to discuss linguistic performance, shifting identity, amateurism, and futurity. To roil out this intellectual cauldron, I’ll probably throw in some random quotes by Nancy Sommers, Jack Halberstam, David Bartholomae, and Mina Shaughnessy. Please if you think of a short quote (less than a paragraph) with which you would like to flavor our chat, bring it along or send it to me in advance so that I can put it on a handout or projection.

During our smart chat about these readings, we will also hold a “masking bee” (think quilting bee with a mask frame, plumes, sequins, and other shiny things). You can find mask frames around the city at places like Michael’s or sometimes Ricky’s; however, I will have some available at cost ($4) and 3Text will have supplies that we can use to create masks as we chatter. Also, if you have a junk drawer full of expendable ribbons, old costume jewelry,and/or feathers (aka: potentially fabulous stuff), please bring it along to share.

I look forward to spending an evening of creative energy and intellectual frolic!

Mark McBeth
    Assoc. Professor/Deputy Chair of Writing Programs
    English, John Jay College of Criminal Justice/CUNY

We hope to see you on Monday! Stay safe in the snow,
    Amanda Licastro and Andrew Lucchesi
    co-chairs of GCCRC

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.