WordPress HELP!!

Public Group active 1 year, 1 month ago

Best WordPress themes for multi-language blogs?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #14402

Hi folks,

Apologies if this isn’t the right forum for this kind of posting, but I’m wondering if there are any WordPess themes available that people recommend for managing a multiple-language blog (e.g., with the same piece of text made available to visitors in English or Spanish, with the ability of the visitor to select which language is desired).

I’m also just interested in people’s favorite themes in general, particularly for managing sites that have a lot of text and information, rather than visuals, and that provide a lot of flexibility and customizability.

Also in my desires list for one of my blogs: a theme that has a widget for an events calendar (not a calendar of the blog posts) that can be made available on the homepage as a sidebar item and also displayed large scale when the user clicks through. I know there are some out there, but I haven’t had a chance to play around with them. I’d love to hear about people’s favorites!

thanks all!
    Rachel

#22439

Hi Rachel – I think for multi-languages, you probably will need a plugin rather than a theme. I took a look at some and saw one that looks promising – “qTranslate” http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/qtranslate/

The Commons does not have this plugin installed, but you could request it. Our developers will need to vet it, and if it looks ok, we can install and you could activate it and use – it looks like it creates a switch in your sidebar that you click to switch languages.

The Commons has the Google Calendar plugin installed, and you can activate it and place as a widget in your sidebar. Let me know if you need help.

In terms of themes – there is a really simple, clean theme called Blueprint that you might want to check out for text. But there are lots around – maybe just shop around. I like the Canvas theme by Woo for its customizability but not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Maybe others have suggestions.

Hope this helps.