CUNY Technology Group

Public Group active 2 days, 8 hours ago

Proposal to install spyware in university libraries

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #102872
    Beth Evans
    Participant

I saw this on the Library Link of the Day.

Proposal to install spyware in university libraries to protect copyrights shocks academics

From the story:

The speaker, Corey Roach, a security officer at the University of Utah, described a plug-in that could collect “biometric data, which can be things like how quick did they type, how do they move their mouse,” in order to distinguish and identify individual users, who are otherwise anonymized by university proxy servers.

….To incentivize libraries to install the software, Roach suggested offering them discounts on publisher databases in exchange.

Not a good thing.

Beth

#102874
    Junior Tidal
    Participant

I read this the other day and found it incredibly invasive and disturbing. I feel like the only reason to SNSI would create such a plugin is to monetize the metadata (like so many other companies have done during the pandemic) collected from users. I believe boycotting those companies, much like the University of California has, is an appropriate for libraries if this plugin were to be deployed.

#102875
    David M. Shapiro
    Participant

Indeed, what could be a better fit than neoliberal monetization and hi-tech surveillance?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.