WordPress HELP!!

Public Group active 1 year ago

Help with my new blog

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Giulia Guarnieri
    Participant

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out how to post photos on the stickers that appear on the top page of my blog. Also I am interested in making to top banner a little shorter (and a bit thicker) since the word “and” disappears behind the banner. I read you can customize that with a code,. Also I would like to modify the colors of some parts of the banners. Can I come and see you at the GC and make an appointment or can you help me virtually ?
    http://podcasting.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
    Thank you,
    Giulia

Hi Giulia – Let me take a look and see – I’ll try to get back to your later today or tomorrow.

Hi – I activated that theme on one of my test blogs and played around with it a little. You can take a look here: http://sandboxdescott.commons.gc.cuny.edu/
    One thing you can do is go “Custom User CSS” and override some of the formatting that comes with the theme. That is how I made the navigation bar a less wide, and the logo a little more readable. The ampersand seems to be mysteriously converted to a picture for some reason – so maybe use the word ‘and’ instead. Not sure of how your want your design. You could also probably make a logo image with the fonts and “&” and use it as the background if you wanted to. I have attached a file with the CSS that I used.
    Also, each time you write a post, you can provide an image so that the slideshow rotates and advertises your posts. To do this, scroll down to the “Custom Fields” and add “Featured” and a url pointing to the image you want to use. I have attached another file showing how to do this.
    Basically, if you want the banner thicker or a different color, you would need to alter the CSS for those items. Let me know what you think or if you need more help or clarification.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Giulia Guarnieri
    Participant

Thank you ! Yes, what you did is exactly how I want it to look. I will try to do what you mention here. If I have trouble I will write again. The only thing is that I can’t cut and past the CSS code you have given me since it is in a format that I cannot edit. Is there another way ?

Sarah Morgano
    Participant

I like the WP-Creativix 1.5.5 theme you chose, Gulia. I think this is the CSS code that Scott used:

#logoname {
    margin-top: 30px;
    margin-bottom: 70px;
    margin-right: 80px;
    margin-left: 20px
    line-height: 300%;
    }
    .navigation {
    width: 610px;
    margin-left:300px;
    }
    #header #navbar a {
    padding-left:0px;
    }

Best,

Sarah

Thanks Sarah – forgot you can’t cut and paste from a screenshot. Let us know if you have any more problems Guilia. I like that theme too.

Hi Giuilia – If you want to use the ampersand in your blogs title, you can change the font. I think the theme uses a font that doesn’t support it. So I played around with the using Arial – you could experiment with others too. Here is the CSS I’m using for http://sandboxdescott.commons.gc.cuny.edu/ now:
    #logoname {
    margin-top: 30px;
    margin-bottom: 70px;
    margin-right: 80px;
    margin-left: 20px;
    line-height: 300%;
    }
    .navigation {
    width: 620px;
    margin-left:290px;
    }
    #header #navbar a {
    padding-left:0px;
    }
    #logoname a {
    font-family: Arial;
    font-size: 38px;
    text-transform: none;
    padding-bottom: 5px;
    }

Giulia Guarnieri
    Participant

Dear Scott and Sarah,
    Thank you so much ! I am trying to upload the photos, and sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Oh well, I will let you know in a few days. The new font worked very well. I would also like to put the RSS feed icon + functions on the first page. Do you have a code for that ?

Hi – It looks like to me you are using Flickr urls for the images? You might try adding the images to your media library to get faster performance. Just an idea… On the dashboard, that would be Media>> Add New. Then you may paste the urls automatically generated from your media library into the proper area on each of your posts.

For RSS, you can activate the “Subscribe Options” plugin – which puts an RSS icon (and twitter, facebook, etc. if you want). Once you activate the plugin, go to widgets and drag the “Subscribe” widget over into your sidebar. You will need to add the url for your feed, which is basically your blog’s home url followed by “/feed” and that should work on the sidebar You can control the size of the icons in the widget. Let me know if you need clarification on this.

So that will work on the sidebar. But the main page of this theme unfortunately does not use the sidebar and does not seem to have any RSS functionality built in. So that may be more difficult.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.