Digital Humanities Reading Group

Public Group active 1 year, 10 months ago

Digital Humanities Reading Group

Group logo of Digital Humanities Reading Group

Introduction

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kalle Westerling
    Participant

Hi!

I am just now starting to think about how I can conceptualize my dissertation project as a digital humanities project. This September, I initiated a project of listing digital humanities projects of interest to/within the field of performing arts, a first step on the way towards my second comprehensive exams in the Ph.D. program in Theatre here at the GC. I am planning on doing one of my three fields on digital humanities in the performing arts. In the long run, I am intending on creating a non-traditional, potentially digital born dissertation about male bodies on the 20th and 21st century burlesque stages of New York City. By listing these projects, I am intending on getting some inspiration and more extensive knowledge of previous work that has been done, and finding my own voice in that flow of intellectual work.

I just thought I’d introduce myself here, and let you know that I’d be super interested in joining some kind of conversation around DH at the GC.

I am also the co-director of HASTAC’s Scholars program, which some of you may know about: http://www.hastac.org/scholars.

All best,
    Kalle

Erin Glass
    Participant

Thanks for your intro Kalle! I’ll join in:
    I’m interested in scholarly communications (the platforms and practices which we use to write, publish, teach and communicate) and how those forms of communication shape our intellectual exchanges and development. Currently I’m working with developers of the Commons to build a platform for socializing in progress writing (without the pesky eye of Google or Zuckerberg peering over). Anyone who wants to help imagine a better way of sharing work and feedback is very very welcome to join in!

But far as this group goes, I just want to hear more from others that are thinking about DH topics. I’d also love to use the group as a chance to try out different DH methodologies — such as text mining — since I find these techie endeavors are often much more palatable, and rewarding, when done collaboratively.

Best,

Erin

Kalle Westerling
    Participant

Love that idea of yours, Erin, and I would love to contribute, a sounding board, be a beta tester, or whatever can be useful!

Kalle

Erin Glass
    Participant

Thanks Kalle, that would be great! Looking forward to hearing more about your connections with DH and the performing arts. Not sure if you know this already, but Ben Vershbow who manages NYPL LABS has a background in theater. NYPL Labs is really interested in doing collaborative work with the GC, so he might be good to talk to about your projects at some point.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.